Looking for a nationwide license processing company...any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

We looking for a company to expedite license paperwork for us. We used to use LicenseLogix out of white plains, but they were purchased recently by Wolters Kluewer and have fallen apart.

The service is similar to a permit expediter, but they help us process licensing paperwork throughout the country.

Any suggestions?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm not aware of any companies that do this. Florida used to have a few companies that would handle this like a permit expediter for Florida state licensing electrical contractors but I think most of them are gone. You don't mention whether you are talking contractor or journeyman licensing. If you are talking about journeyman level licensing, Mike holt's web site can point you in the right direction.
The good news is that there are only 50 states and it is a one time thing unlike permits.

emahler

Thanks Brant. Correct, contractor. Currently needing to apply for CO, KS, OK, NM, AZ, NV and CA due to expansion. We've used CLSI, in the past. Not a great experience. LicenseLogix was ok until purchased by Wolters.

It's definitely a niche market.

Jack Hollesen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry for the late response, I am actually going through this process now and using API Processing. A little on the expensive side, but worth my time savings. They are working with me to get my Qualifier status and EC state licensee for Florida with my existing Master's license in Colorado.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry for the late response, I am actually going through this process now and using API Processing. A little on the expensive side, but worth my time savings. They are working with me to get my Qualifier status and EC state licensee for Florida with my existing Master's license in Colorado.
So this is a third party to do all research and as much paperwork as possible I take it? There is likely going to be some things that one has to themselves, particularly taking exams and CEU's and such when that is required.

Jack Hollesen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So this is a third party to do all research and as much paperwork as possible I take it? There is likely going to be some things that one has to themselves, particularly taking exams and CEU's and such when that is required.
Yes, as the most difficult problem I was having was getting bad information of what was needed such as licensing, reciprocity, etc. from place to place. They definitely streamlined what needed to be done.

So, to start how this went off, I spoke with the....receptionist?, kind of like how a lawyer's office is setup. Answer some questions and someone called me back in less than 2 days. I spoke with her for a little bit, told her my credentials, problems, etc. She emailed me a questionnaire, mostly about my CO license and dates of employment going back 15 years (I only went back 9).

I got a proposal back 2 days after I emailed her the questionnaire (which was part of their "free consultation" I guess) and in red is what she sent me back. The pricing is probably high, but I would gladly pay this even if it were my money. I don't feel sharing this pricing information is "unethical", but correct me if I am wrong.

Good afternoon Jack,

Attached is the price schedule for you to obtain the Unlimited Electrical License in Florida based off partial endorsement from Colorado. I also included the quote from Mike Holt for the Business Only study material.

Once you decide to move forward we will do the following:
1. Order Reference Book- 2021 Contractors Manual
2. Order Study Material- Business Only
3. Exam Enrollment Application
4. Start Initial License Application

API is with you from start to finish until the license is issued. Please reach out with any questions, or if you're ready to move forward.

Application – API Fee $1300.00
Exam Enrollment Application ($263.25- State Fee, $25.00- Fedex Overnight Fee, $23.75- Convenience Fee) $312.00
State License Fee $492.00
Business Credit Report $90.00
Personal Credit Report $65.00
Fed Ex Overnight Fee $50.00
Exam Verification Letter $50.00
Convenience Fee $30.00
Mike Holt's Florida Contractor Business and Finance Homestay $157.70
Total - $2,546.70

Now, take this all with a grain of salt, being this is my first go with them as they came recommended from a lawyer friend in Florida after my company purchased a small EC firm in Fort Pierce, hence why I need to obtain this license. API handles multiple states and I would assume the lower 48 at the very least and I will be using them to obtain licensure in other states as well.

Hope this helps!

I've never had to deal with this sort of thing, hope I never do, but that "proposal" sets off a few red flags for me. "Convenience fee"??? Are the prices for the MH products inflated (the FedEx fees almost certainly are, how about the others)? What value are they adding to the process other than filling in applications?

BTW, MH has an amazon store.

Jack Hollesen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah, most definitively the value they add is not having to figure it all out for yourself, but by no means is this even difficult. I am sure their niche is the overwhelmed contractor with no time, lol. A good admin in the office should have each state and corresponding jurisdictions figured out completely in a day I would think. At least with what would need to happen.

Prior to this, I was working on getting my Texas license as well, but the main state department kept giving me conflicting stories. First it was needing to complete an apprenticeship in state to get the accredited hours to be able to even test for a Texas JW and then ME. Then talking with someone else they stated I could just submit the application for ME, pay the fees, and then I would be licensed. So, I submitted my application and it was rejected for the work history and the hours I have in CO, haha.

This is where I see there value (or a company just like them) to avoid having the run around because I often have no time for BS and buried as it is.

And yes, I concur, the MH store has a wealth of knowledge and I am a little ashamed that I've lurked around this forum since 2009 and never really engaged with this awesome community. I'll do better :)

Merry Christmas all, if that's your thing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.