Lou Electrical Contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I've never seen a water fountain (as in drinking) that was expected to have standing water in it, but a GFCI is required.
A different concept is in play there. The hazard is not that someone might plug in a toaster within a short distance of the drinking fountain, then accidentally drop it into the fountain after the fountain had somehow filled with water. The hazard is the possibility of a failure internal to the drinking fountain itself. There is no 6 foot rule for drinking fountains.
Water does not lose its conductivity by the virtue of being in a listed assembly.
Why would the conductivity of water be of interest to the situation, unless you were concerned about someone dropping a 350+ cubic inch toaster into a 30- cubic inch spit sink?

kwired

Electron manager
A different concept is in play there. The hazard is not that someone might plug in a toaster within a short distance of the drinking fountain, then accidentally drop it into the fountain after the fountain had somehow filled with water. The hazard is the possibility of a failure internal to the drinking fountain itself. There is no 6 foot rule for drinking fountains.
Why would the conductivity of water be of interest to the situation, unless you were concerned about someone dropping a 350+ cubic inch toaster into a 30- cubic inch spit sink?

Quite frankly I didn't see the need to add drinking fountains to the list of items that need GFCI protection and am not sure what the justification was in doing so. If there were enough injuries to deem it necessary then I might be fine with that, but something tells me they don't have that much failure of equipment grounding conductor and because of that probably not much shock hazard either.

Status
Not open for further replies.