Low profile outlet receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I've got a situation where I need to install a single or duplex receptacle outlet in a very shallow depth wall. It's a special situation but I believe I've seen them before. Any help?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
How shallow? Old work/ New work?

New work. Very shallow. I'd like to find a box that is setup in such a way that it is only as deep as a standard plug's prongs. It seems like it would be easy to manufacture. I've seen wiremold type power strips that were of similar depth but surface mount. I'd like to find one that is meant to be flush mount but of the same depth...

tallguy

Twoskinsoneman said:
I've got a situation where I need to install a single or duplex receptacle outlet in a very shallow depth wall. It's a special situation but I believe I've seen them before. Any help?

Recently did this in an extremely shallow basement wall (3/4")... 1x3 firring against a concrete wall.

I have a friend who is a wiz with wood and she used a bandsaw to carve 2x4's into blocks the size of a receptacle box plus an additional 1" all the way around. She then carved out the center in the exact shape of the box so it would fit nice and snug. The first one was the biggest pain, but once she had the template she knocked out 6 of these in about 30 minutes.

That gave us ~3" thickness to work with, which was enough for the NM to fit around the corner of the block into one of these:
0471.jpg

Still only have 10.5 in3, so next step is to attach WireMold V5751 to the steel box and then tack the assembly to the wood block using GE Silicone II -- there's not enough interface between the WireMold & wood for screws.
30046_300.jpg

Those are 10.8 in3 AFAIR, so that gives 21.3 in3 -- tight, but good enough for wiring 12ga. 3-ways, including the internal clamp.

Once the whole thing was together (including the NM) I used the Silicone II to glue the whole thing to the wall, using some cinder blocks leaned against 2x6's to hold it in place while curing.

The whole thing was a pain, but it worked after some experimentation.

raider1

Staff member
Carlon makes an 8 cubic inch single gang box that might be what you are looking for. Here is a link to their catalog. The product is a B108B-UPC.

I have used similar boxes in cabinets where there is a problem with depth.

Chris

macmikeman

A 4" square box with a 1/2" switch ring will take up 2" depth overall out to the faceplate. Any of the ones with brackets to attach to wood studs works well in verticle furring strip applications where the furring is 2 x 2" and 1/2" drywall is used for the wall. Carlon plastic 4" sq boxes and single gang rings used with Arlington snap in connectors are the ticket. The added bonus is that you get enough cubic inch space for 2 or 3 12-2 cables.

plate

If you have a cinder block wall, can you knock a hole in the cinder block (to give you some extra depth) and then use the box that tallguy has shown above?

raider1

Staff member
Twoskinsoneman said:
Wow some great ideas.
Raider1 That box is only 1 1/4" deep. Sweet.
I think it'll work. Thanks

You are welcome.

I have had good luck with those boxes when you have a shallow space. The only problem that you need to keep in mind in box fill.

Chris

tallguy

raider1 said:
You are welcome.

I have had good luck with those boxes when you have a shallow space. The only problem that you need to keep in mind in box fill.

Chris

I can't think of anything one could do with that (legally) without some sort of expansion out from the face...

You could put in an end of run 15A recep with #14 wire... as long as you remove the EGC... :smile:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
tallguy said:
I can't think of anything one could do with that (legally) without some sort of expansion out from the face...

You could put in an end of run 15A recep with #14 wire... as long as you remove the EGC... :smile:

It is the end of it's run. One #14 circuit into it. Thanks for bringing up the box fill issue. it's 8cuin. aww I had hoped to install an EGC in this circuit...:grin: :D

tallguy

Twoskinsoneman said:
It is the end of it's run. One #14 circuit into it. Thanks for bringing up the box fill issue. it's 8cuin. aww I had hoped to install an EGC in this circuit...:grin: :D

Thanks... got a good chuckle here from that one.

If you are allowed to come out from the face a bit (and you'll have to unless you have an extremely lax inspector), WireMold is probably your best bet as it has cubic inches stamped on it and it looks nice. I'm all about the aesthetics...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Twoskinsoneman said:
Okay, time to be more specific. How deep from the wall surface to the back of the box? What is the material behind the box? Is there a reason it can't be chased/routed a bit?

raider1 said:
Carlon makes an 8 cubic inch single gang box that might be what you are looking for. The product is a B108B-UPC.Chris
I may be wrong, but I've been told these boxes are not legal for line-voltage applications. Besides, as noted, a 14/2 and a device requires 10 cu. in.

I have found metal boxes that are 10.5 cu. in., but they are 2" deep, which means 1.5" behind drywall. Again, what is the application?

Status
Not open for further replies.