Low Volatge undercabinet Puck lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

I would like to know more of this application. Most 120V pucks I have seen are plug in and they can be linked together with specialty cords that are part of the system.

I have basically given up using pucks because of the issues with them. The LV systems cannot have concealed wiring, etc. I would rather use xenon uc lights or LED---

I have seen LV pucks wired with concealed wiring-- the wire was cat 5 wire. :roll:

Why can't the LV puck light wiring be conealed? Please explain.

chris1971

Low Volatge undercabinet Puck lights

Saw a post which is kind of related to my questions. I will be installing some low voltage undercabinet puck lights in a residential kitchen. The transformer will be mounted in the basement below. My questions are: For the low voltage wiring from the transformer to each location I will probably run romex and can I get by splicing this romex without having the splice enclosed in a box? Or, should I run a class two wire to each location instead?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I honestly believe that 90% or more of EC's don't even know that article 411 exists. I am not saying this to demean anyone but it is amazing to see responses at meetings when I bring this up. The entire articles is 7 parts long- not even one page.

411.4 Specific Location Requirements.
(A) Walls, Floors, and Ceilings. Conductors concealed or extended through a wall, floor, or ceiling shall be in accordance with (1) or (2):
(1) Installed using any of the wiring methods specified in Chapter 3
(2) Installed using wiring supplied by a listed Class 2 power source and installed in accordance with 725.130
(B) Pools, Spas, Fountains, and Similar Locations. Lighting systems shall be installed not less than 3 m (10 ft) horizontally from the nearest edge of the water, unless permitted by Article 680.

chris1971

Because "lamp cord" cannot be concealed. It would have to be a wiring method we can use in-wall for line-voltage wiring, except maybe for the voltage rating.

Okay. I understand using romex for the low voltage wiring to the puck lights. My other question is: will I need to enclose the splices for the low voltage in a box? The puck lights are 12 v.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
LV Puck lights

LV Puck lights

Can someone step forward and give us their view of the proper way to install LV under cabinet lights? These lights are all over the place so someone must have an idea?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can someone step forward and give us their view of the proper way to install LV under cabinet lights? These lights are all over the place so someone must have an idea?

They can be installed as long as the wiring is not concealed or you have a system that will work with class 2 wiring, etc

electricmanscott

Open garbage can, toss in puck light. :grin:

I actually use them for in cabinet lighting quite a bit. I always use romex and I never install a box for the splices.

chris1971

I actually use them for in cabinet lighting quite a bit. I always use romex and I never install a box for the splices.

Thanks. You answered my question. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

PetrosA

I've seen tons of them installed with flying splices but I don't do that. Seagull and others make a two terminal strip block that has a cover and these work well. I've also used the plastic insulated terminal strips (each terminal and screw is insulated and there is a hole for mounting) a number of times. Any time the splice would be subject to damage - either on top of cabinets or inside them - I would use a 5747 or 5747-2.

tryinghard

I thought these were available as an individual item kit or system: transformer and pucks each without cabling. If this be the case 120V wire to the transformer then 12 or 24V concealed cable to each puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.