Low Voltage Electrician!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Low Voltage Electrician!!!

David, go here it will give you information contact sources.

Roger

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Roger, that info is good but it really is geared towards electrical contractor licenses. Not much info on LV licenses.

You really have to go to your state or jurisdiction, whatever issues the license, since all are different.

I am most familiar with Connecticuit. They have limited contractor and limited journeyperson licenses for combinations of three categories of LV work. They are security, sound and telephone interconnect, which I assume would also include data network wiring.

The requirements are that you must show (and be able to verify)a certain length of employment working for someone in the capacity you want to be licensed in, and a level of related formal classroom instruction.

You then will be eligable to take a test that covers the NEC as it relates to the work, specific questions that show that you know the security, commercial sound or telephone interconnect craft as well as questions relating to operating a business and business law in the state.

You then will have to have proof of insurance as required and possibly a bond to get your license.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hbiss, I think David is probably talking about Washington so this

Department of Labor & Industries
P.O. Box 44460
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 902-5269 Fax: (360) 902-5296
www.lni.wa.gov/scs/electrical

should point him in the right direction to find the information required. ;)

Roger

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Humble, this is Tom, from the Other Washington (state). If you are in washington, you can apply to take the electrical certification exam if you can document prior experience, or have the required hours (for 06 certification its 4,000 hours) from being in a trainee status.
There are certain specialties that are accepting "grandfathered" hours, this is a unique opportunity and you should look into it.
first off, down load WAC 296-46B and look at chapter 900 that deals with certification.
If you are from Washington State and have further questions after you review the WAC, send me a PM and I'll help if I can.

Low Voltage could be several types of wiring. If you are referring to telecom wiring, certification is not required for installers, but an adminstrators license is required to be a contractor.

[ December 20, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: tom baker ]

david robbs

tom baker said:
Humble, this is Tom, from the Other Washington (state). If you are in washington, you can apply to take the electrical certification exam if you can document prior experience, or have the required hours (for 06 certification its 4,000 hours) from being in a trainee status.
There are certain specialties that are accepting "grandfathered" hours, this is a unique opportunity and you should look into it.
first off, down load WAC 296-46B and look at chapter 900 that deals with certification.
If you are from Washington State and have further questions after you review the WAC, send me a PM and I'll help if I can.

Low Voltage could be several types of wiring. If you are referring to telecom wiring, certification is not required for installers, but an adminstrators license is required to be a contractor.

[ December 20, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: tom baker ]

I know this an older post, but I am looking at starting a business in WA state installing low voltage in new construction. Security systems, data, cable, phones, surround sound, whole-house audio. I have calls in to L&I and the state to see what I need to start the business up. I will look through WAC 296-46B.

I want the business to be an LLC and I will not have employees to begin with. I'll post if I have questions after digging through the WAC's and the RCW's. :wink:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.