Low Voltage Exam Washington County Maryland - Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Not going to start a p****** match and it's nothing aimed at you personally. Buy yeah, I do have a deep seated disdain for the IT industry going way back. I am a member of the telecom industry and as you know much of it has been going VoIP lately. Just one example- it's a sad state of affairs when our guys have to tell the in-house IT "network engineer" guy how to configure their system or firewall to make the phones work. Most of the time the problem is attitude or just plain bullheadedness. It's always been my observation that IT people are way overrated and given way too much self importance for what they actually know and the education they have.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Not going to start a p****** match and it's nothing aimed at you personally. Buy yeah, I do have a deep seated disdain for the IT industry going way back. I am a member of the telecom industry and as you know much of it has been going VoIP lately. Just one example- it's a sad state of affairs when our guys have to tell the in-house IT "network engineer" guy how to configure their system or firewall to make the phones work. Most of the time the problem is attitude or just plain bullheadedness. It's always been my observation that IT people are way overrated and given way too much self importance for what they actually know and the education they have.

-Hal

I can say some similar things about some "POCO engineers" I have encountered in the past, they use their education in similar fashion when experience and common sense told me something different then what they wanted. Most of the good "POCO engineers" I have encountered are those that started out as linemen and don't have any engineering degree, they have a better grasp of reality of what works and what doesn't. Sure one needs some education, but experience is the lab portion that you never stop attending.

-Hal

My main concern moving into the IT field too. To a degree its very true. Some are arrogant and project a geek like aloofness that you just want to smack out of them. I am not that guy.

Not sure what systems you install but personally I'd set you up with a Voice VLAN with LLDP (Link Layer Discovery Protocol). This broadcast a protocol which will pull your phone over to the correct VLAN automatically so you don't have to touch every handset manually entering the VLAN. This allows it to pull an IP from the correct DHCP server for that subnet the voice VLAN exist on, standard VLAN ID of 100 typically. On Flat networks you can add DHCP strings that point the phones to the PBX server so it can pull it's config automatically without manual static entries on every phone. I set QOS for voice priority for systems broadcasting DSCP packets, typically tagged (46) especially for Cisco and Avaya systems. Most vendors use this tagging for QOS and it works well giving the voice packets priority on the network. Allows for a quick efficient deployment for the telecom vendor. Especially if you want to get your clients away from a digital infrastructure and the labor required punching down all those pairs and crossover cables. I haven't made one enemy in the telecom industry ;-)

I can say some similar things about some "POCO engineers" I have encountered in the past, they use their education in similar fashion when experience and common sense told me something different then what they wanted. Most of the good "POCO engineers" I have encountered are those that started out as linemen and don't have any engineering degree, they have a better grasp of reality of what works and what doesn't. Sure one needs some education, but experience is the lab portion that you never stop attending.

True

Eh40

Exam

Exam

Alot of good suggestions here already, I would like to suggest a few more. Anxiety of taking the exam can cause you to be inefficient with your time. When I take an exam, my first pass thru, I answer all the questions I can answer quickly with 100% confidence of accuracy, on the first pass. Not giving any fast and easy points up. If your exam permits a restroom break without running the clock, do so at this time. Either way, pay no more time or attention to the questions you have already answered, and go back and work on the others, many computer exams, let you view unanswered questions only , which is what you need to focus on. Next if you encounter questions you know you cant answer, mark them, most computers exams let you mark these , don;t waste any time on these until the very last. Try to arrive early for the exam ( I personally arrive 1 hour early and sit for a few minutes in nearby cofee shop), no need to add additional stress. Good Luck

Alot of good suggestions here already, I would like to suggest a few more. Anxiety of taking the exam can cause you to be inefficient with your time. When I take an exam, my first pass thru, I answer all the questions I can answer quickly with 100% confidence of accuracy, on the first pass. Not giving any fast and easy points up. If your exam permits a restroom break without running the clock, do so at this time. Either way, pay no more time or attention to the questions you have already answered, and go back and work on the others, many computer exams, let you view unanswered questions only , which is what you need to focus on. Next if you encounter questions you know you cant answer, mark them, most computers exams let you mark these , don;t waste any time on these until the very last. Try to arrive early for the exam ( I personally arrive 1 hour early and sit for a few minutes in nearby cofee shop), no need to add additional stress. Good Luck

Excellent advice, thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.