low voltage lighting wired in series not working unless first switch is turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lightning circuit that is fed by 120 volts through a 14 gauge wire into a transformer that reduces it to 24 volts. On the load side I have daisy chained the power to four separate switches each supplying one exterior lighting fixture of the same voltage requirement. However the three following lights after the first switch only work if the first switch is in the on position. Originally the wiring was 4 separate loads from the transformer all tied in at the trans and everything worked well. Can anyone enlighten me to what the possible problem could be. Can I not daisy chain a low voltage lighting circuit. Is it voltage drop? If it is voltage drop then why would the other lights work with only the first switch turned on.There is no more than 100 feet and probably less between the transformer and the final switch and again it is in 14 gauge wire.

gar

Occupation
EE
150416-2352 EDT

I do not understand your description. You need to draw a diagram of the circuitry on the 24 V side of the transformer. The transformer is of no importance to your problem. It is simply a 24 V voltage source.

What does daisy chain mean?

If you are to have four independently switched circuits, then you want four parallel circuits each containing a series connection of a switch, the hot wire to the load to be switched, the load, and a return wire from the load.

All the return wires are connected together and to one end of the 24 V voltage source. The four input wires to the switches are connected together and to the other end of the 24 V source.

Effectively you have four series circuits connected in parallel to the voltage source as said above.

PetrosA

It's not easy imagining your setup, but assuming you have a 24V feed out from a transformer to four switches rated for that voltage and assuming that the last three loads are at least above the minimum load rating of the transformer, then the only possibilities would be that you tied the last three switches to the load side of the first switch or that you truly wired them in series and none of them will work unless all the switches are in the on position.

Cavie

I have a lightning circuit that is fed by 120 volts through a 14 gauge wire into a transformer that reduces it to 24 volts. On the load side I have daisy chained the power to four separate switches each supplying one exterior lighting fixture of the same voltage requirement. However the three following lights after the first switch only work if the first switch is in the on position. Originally the wiring was 4 separate loads from the transformer all tied in at the trans and everything worked well. Can anyone enlighten me to what the possible problem could be. Can I not daisy chain a low voltage lighting circuit. Is it voltage drop? If it is voltage drop then why would the other lights work with only the first switch turned on.There is no more than 100 feet and probably less between the transformer and the final switch and again it is in 14 gauge wire.

That's because you Daisy Chained. Second light wont work unless the first sw is on. Third light won't work unless the 2nd switch is on. ETC. It's called series wiring not Daisy Chained. You must run each light on it own switch from the transformer.

Wire it back the way it was. Transformer-SW-light. Trans-SW-light. Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.