Low voltage lights Cable question.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I am getting this pixels-rgbww
Instruction say to use this for runs at no greater than 90' control-yellow

Do I really need shielded cable, is it not just to stop interference from like capacity couplings if I have a EMF close by. My route for this is in pipe outside and has no line voltage near it. I am going 90 feet. I was just going to upsize to 10 AWG for my VD. Would THWN be fine or do I need that shield?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There is generally no need for shielding for a single wire + ground(neutral) data circuit when your conductors are in pipe. The cable configuration inside the 5 wire cable may also be twisted to reduce coupling between individual wires (which would also not be a problem for your installation.)
I suspect that the 90' limitation is for VD. Although the capacitance to the data wire may cause problems too for long runs.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would stick with the cable they recommend in case you have any issues with the system. If you decide to pull separate conductors I don't think #10 is necessary. The cable they recommend is only #18.

The cable they are recommending is a standard lighting control cable used by Lutron, Control4 and others. If the reason you don't want to use the recomended cable is having to purchase a full reel/box let me know. I'm sure I have partial reels in my storage and could send you a cut if you pay shipping.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I am going to give them a call and see if its just for voltage drop or if its for capacitance to date wire like you said. I would like to go past the 90' if possible and if its just vd they care about then no problem.
Thanks for the comments and thanks curt for the offer. Ill just get some not that expensive

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Use the cable they recommend or equivalent. Addressable LEDs -data line can operate in the 100's of KHz.
Wire capacitance is an issue at longer lengths and causes a slew rate issue for the data.