Low Voltage Next to High Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsachs

I installed a low voltage box onto the side of a single 120 v enclosed box. Electrical building inspector flagged a violation and stipulated that the 120v box and the low voltage box need to be separated. Does the code stipulate this?

bphgravity

Re: Low Voltage Next to High Voltage

If the "low voltage" wiring and the circuit wiring are in separate boxes, there is not a separation requirement for the boxes. Ask the inspector for a specific code section. See section 725.55 for more information.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I installed a low voltage box onto the side of a single 120 v enclosed box.

Not following you there. If you modified a box or attached one box to the other, unless they were designed to be used this way you violate the listing. Besides that, I can't see how the plate would fit.

That's probably what the inspector was talking about- those boxes (like most) are designed to be used individually.

There are combination boxes with either partitions or a separate section for LV. That's what you should be using if you want both on a 2G plate.

-Hal

jsachs

The add on low voltage box is made by Carlon, is rated for class 2 low voltage and is a single open. It is designed to be attached to a single gang box. When clipped on to a single gang box, the combine structure equals a double gang box. Basically creating a combination box which can be covered with a 2G plate.

ed downey

I Used The SC100SC By Carlon For Adding On To Existing Electrical Boxes During The Rough-In Stage Of The Last House I Built. They Worked Very Well And Are Listed For The Application.
Carlon

Page 22 Shows The SC100SC
-Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.