Low Voltage Sign

lblount

New User
Occupation
Sign and Lighting Contractor
I am installing an illuminated sign on the exterior of a masonry wall. The sign is illuminated with 12 volt led modules. The power supply for this sign is located on the interior side of the wall. Low voltage cable will be run through the wall to feed the led modules inside the sign. My question is, does nec require that the low voltage cable be run in conduit and if not does nec require that a protective sleeve or bushing be installed in the back for the sign for the cable to pass through? A code reference would be great to support your answer. (We have always used conduit and the appropriate fitting but the customer I am working with says it's not required) Thanks

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It depends on whether the 12V power supply is Class 2 or Class 3 or Class 1 (nothing marked on it). CL2 or 3 does not require a sleeve but it is advisable. Class 1 must use a Chapter 3 wiring method just like power and lighting. You could use UF but again I would sleeve it.

-Hal

5p00f3r19

New User
Occupation
Installer
Hello, old Thread but I wanted to ask regarding the same issue.
so if the power supply is Class 2 and the low voltage wiring is also rated for exterior use, it is acceptable to not use EMT/Conduit?.
what if there is a splice with wire nuts?. is there a requirement to use an enclosure?. also, if the power supply behind the wall is grounded, does the exterior sign need to be grounded as well? even though all the wiring is low voltage?

Thank you!