Lowvoltage lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

Does lowltage lighting have to be in a j-box. The reason I ask is I was in a high end house and was looking at the lights in the cabinets and when I look on top all the wiring was exposed. What article would that be in.

gus

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Look at art. 411. It really depends whether it must be in a jb. In general, if the system is approved for use in the walls then yes but if exposed no.

guschash

Thanks Dennis. I having been reading 411 and 725. 411.5 D (3) if the wiring is under the cabinets then they need to be in a raceway or box, correct ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks Dennis. I having been reading 411 and 725. 411.5 D (3) if the wiring is under the cabinets then they need to be in a raceway or box, correct ?
No, I don't get that at all. There are systems out there that will allow certain types of wire to be concealed that are not the wiring systems noted in Chapter 3-- art. 411.3. Generally if the wiring is concealed then it must follow the wiring methods of chapter 3-- art. 411.4(A). If the wiring is exposed, as on top or under upper cabinets, then no JB is required and the wiring methods don't need to be chapter 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.