Luminaire supporting from Metal Decking

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have these tap type screws. To hang jack chain from decking. Is their a code that restricts this. I know I will get "Depending on jurisdiction" type answers. But is their any real solid answers. Hate to have to change this later. Would be very difficult to reach when ceiling is in.
Jack chain hangs very straight and much better looking. 2 per fixture. 2x2 LED. Weighs probably less than 5 lbs.

Attachments

• Metal Decking 1330036582jh941-1.jpg
    Metal Decking 1330036582jh941-1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 9

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
What is the dynamic load capacity on the spec sheet?
I don't believe code specifies exact fasteners for chains, just that they as always be listed for such use.
So what does its listing say?

From personal experience, that looks quite similar to other roof pan fasteners I've used to run conduit rod supports off of. It should be good.
I assume its a roof.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
I don't see any requirement that fixture supports be listed for the use or listed at all for that matter (except listed clips for securing fixtures to suspended ceiling grids).
Well okay I suppose trees aren't listed either. My bad. I'd still be very wary of using random fasteners off of ebay for this.
At least have the specs for the fastener be rated for the usage you expect then.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No Standard roof with the 3 inch foam boards Do u think they will pass rough ceiling?
Those fasteners are fine. As with anything that is being supported it's up to the AHJ to decide what is adequate for the purpose. I can't see any reason why that anchor screwed into a metal pan deck would not be sufficient for your purpose.

John A

Occupation
Inspector
Before I retired as an EC, I solved the wire situation by having the ceiling guys install wire for the fixtures and for cable support (if needed).

Yes, it turned out easier and cheaper in the long run.

For the jobs where there was no ceiling guys, we did it, and used this type of fastner from the hardware supplier.