Luminary cable without the MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
No. If I can't pull those conductors through conduit off separate reels, what makes you think putting them together on one reel and selling it to me makes it any different?

Now, if you could come up with a product like luminary cable but without the armor and get it listed you would have something.

-Hal

Hal is this the product your referring to? If Similar to this southwire mc cable would it be allowed? I think what makes this allowable is that the controller wire is insulated to the same as the primaries all conductors rated to 600V. The twisted pair has an overall insulation rated to 600V. Not sure the the individual conductors including the control wire below have identification along the conductors, but the overall sheathing would have to have marking along the sheath just like the THHN would and meeting requirements of 310.120 for it to be used.
Why would additional listing be needed if all they're doing is putting listed wires onto a single spool?
1624012527219.png

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Isn't Luminary MC with the required wires (2 power wires + 2 control wires (16 TFN solid) the same as installing the wires in conduit? I know that the ballast and control module also need to be rated Class 1. The branch circuit power and the 16 TFN control wires are listed 600V. We could also add a ground as required.
Not "rated Class 1, remarked (identified permanently) as class 1 removing any Class 2 reference. However, I have yet to see anyone open every fixture and cross out the reference to class 2 nor had a single inspector including AHCA (a very anal hospital inspection division in Florida) mention it.

Is this product similar to Anixter’s Speepull or Quik-Pull? We use Quik-pull products quite often and custom order any configuration that we need.

https://www.anixter.com/en_us/servi...nstruction-deployment-services/speedpull.html

https://www.quik-pull.com/
Our product is called FastPull. We have been in business since 1983. We supply bundled and identified cable for all industries from electrical to access control. Our capabilities are better and our lead times are as well. give us a try. www.sourcery-llc.com

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not "rated Class 1, remarked (identified permanently) as class 1 removing any Class 2 reference. However, I have yet to see anyone open every fixture and cross out the reference to class 2 nor had a single inspector including AHCA (a very anal hospital inspection division in Florida) mention it.
It is a little more complicated than that.
Any power sources listed as Class 1 need to have that marking removed. Any Class 2 source automatically qualifies as a Class 1 source as well.
But end points receiving input from that re-marked source MUST be listed as safe with Class 1 sources and wiring. Just removing the *requirement* for a Class 2 environment does not cut it.
Typical 0-10 V lighting controls are rated for use with either a Class 1 or a Class 2 environment, so they can be used with Chapter 3 wiring methods sharing a raceway with power wiring.

P.S. because of its separate sheathing, luminary cable allows you to keep the Class 2 marking and use end points rated only for a Class 2 environment. The cables in the OP do not qualify for this treatment.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Note that this is a re-activation of a two year old thread!
There has been enough new content added that I will not close it now, but be aware of the two year time lapse between the OP and the current content.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
It is a little more complicated than that.
Any power sources listed as Class 1 need to have that marking removed. Any Class 2 source automatically qualifies as a Class 1 source as well.
But end points receiving input from that re-marked source MUST be listed as safe with Class 1 sources and wiring. Just removing the *requirement* for a Class 2 environment does not cut it.
Typical 0-10 V lighting controls are rated for use with either a Class 1 or a Class 2 environment, so they can be used with Chapter 3 wiring methods sharing a raceway with power wiring.

P.S. because of its separate sheathing, luminary cable allows you to keep the Class 2 marking and use end points rated only for a Class 2 environment. The cables in the OP do not qualify for this treatment.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Is the bold text a typo, should be class 2, otherwise, Huh?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Now years old but OP never mentioned class 2, they are a manufacturer of wire getting requests for what seems like class 1.
So I don't know where this class 2 issue comes from?
Agreed most of the stuff I see is class 1 rated LED drivers/dimmers.
Is it pretty common for guys to remark older stuff?
725.48(B)(1) permits Class 1 conductors in the same raceway as power as they are "functionally associated" with the light.
The other thing to remember is you cant switch between class 1 and class 2 wiring methods in a single run.
I have seen people try to do that, like TFFN in conduit to a class 2 cable then back to tffn in conduit.
I'd rather see stranded than solid in that small size.
Here is an example of a LED driver with a class 1 rating:

Attachments

• cl1.jpeg
    cl1.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.