Lutron Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have a new facility that has an extensive Lutron lighting control system which includes some master and slave control panels.
The facility lighting is dim-able fluorescent fixtures, UL listed. Each fixture is supplied with a factory cord terminated in an octagon box. The cord is a five conductor cord with power for the fixture and control voltage from the Lutron slave controllers. All connections are made in the factory supplied octagon box. The power enters the box via a conduit system, the Lutron control wiring is looped between boxes by exposed cables.
I'm trying to justify the "mix" of wiring in the octagon box in Art 725 and have not been able to do so.
Anyone have knowledge of these systems ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since they're using external cables it sounds like the control (0-10 volts) is being configured as Class 2. We usually use Lutron systems configured with Class 1 control and keep all of the wiring (5 conductors) in one cable or conduit system. What type of Lutron modules are they using?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I'll check the next trip. The last inspection did not entail the lighting but I saw a Belden type cable draped across the ceiling going into an octagon box above the fixture and realized it was investigation time. The E/C pointed out several "salve" Lutron control boxes scattered througout the building and I know the lighting power circuits route thru a "Master" Lutron panel on each floor. I will get more details but figured one of you guys had been there and done that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Since they're using external cables it sounds like the control (0-10 volts) is being configured as Class 2. We usually use Lutron systems configured with Class 1 control and keep all of the wiring (5 conductors) in one cable or conduit system. What type of Lutron modules are they using?

if it means anything to you, the E/C advises they units are "ESN" and the cables are an "ECO-SYSTEM LOOP"... I have no paperwork to document those terms.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Follow Up:
As it turned out, we almost dodged the bullet using the exception 2 in 725.130, but some of the cabling is Class 2. We also tried 725.136(D) but we could not maintain separation and our lighting system is over 150 volts to ground.
The E/C is going to make changes to have the system meet Class1 requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.