Lutron Caseta Wireless Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am doing a kitchen remodel and due to wiring access problems I'm using Caseta wireless switches with Pico remotes. I've used these many many times with no problems. But I think this is the first time I have used multiple Casetas together in ganged boxes. I have 11 LED recessed lights on Caseta #1 and two LED lights on Caseta #2. Both in a 3-gang box. The Picos are also ganged at the other end
For those not familiar with how these work, the Caseta wireless replaces a mechanical switch and you place the Pico remote at desired location. Just a way to make a 3-way switch circuit without the wiring between switches. You put the Caseta into program mode then go to the Pico and put it in program mode, then the units pair up and lights can be controlled from each location.

The problem I'm having is when I program/pair Caseta #1 the lights turn on/off as they should. When #2 is program/paired they also work as expected.
Then suddenly Caseta #1 switch turns off/on all lights, including those controlled by the Caseta #2. Then Caseta #2 doesn't do anything.
So I start all over and each switch works as expected, then after a while, the problem returns.
I think I program/paired these 3 times, they were working correctly when I left but don't know if they will remain that way.

Only thing I noticed is there is a slight flicker on the switch that controls only the two lights. I think I'm going to have to add the MLC (minimum load capacitor) as the two lights don't have enough load for the Caseta. Could this have any bearing on why one switch looses programming and the other takes over for all the lights?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Which model are you using? The one with, or without the neutral? I haven’t had any problems with the ones with the neutral, but the ones without don’t like LED’s, and flicker when dimmed, especially if it’s a single lamp.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Try one with the neutral even if you have to bootleg it, and see if it makes a difference. If it does though, it would probably be difficult to get a neutral there if it’s not there to begin with?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It was years ago that I did this but it wasn't Caseta. I used radioRA and I finally had to call tech support. For some reason we had to redo the program about 5 times before it finally worked. The tech guy assumed I was doing something wrong. Maybe I was but I tried following his instructions which was exactly what I had been doing.

Sometimes these electronics have a mind of their own. haha

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Try one with the neutral even if you have to bootleg it, and see if it makes a difference. If it does though, it would probably be difficult to get a neutral there if it’s not there to begin with?
There is a neutral there but the Caseta didn't require one. I'm going to try the MLC before getting another dimmer.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Just wondering if your allowing enough time between programming the pico’s and masters. I recently had some wireless paddle fan controls in multiple rooms act goofy. Found out I wasn’t waiting long enough between programming of diffferent rooms I needed to wait a few minutes before moving on to the next or the room I thought I was finished with would enter in another rooms remote.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Just wondering if your allowing enough time between programming the pico’s and masters. I recently had some wireless paddle fan controls in multiple rooms act goofy. Found out I wasn’t waiting long enough between programming of diffferent rooms I needed to wait a few minutes before moving on to the next or the room I thought I was finished with would enter in another rooms remote.
These program by putting the master/wired unit in programming mode, then putting the remote in program mode. The programming ends when the lights blink 3 times. After the 3rd blink it exits programming mode. So I don't think there is a minimum time to wait. But I did try each switch several times after programming so there was a delay in when each was checked. They would work fine upon checking and then you go back later and at least one had lost programming, and the lights for that group was being controlled by the wrong switch.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
These program by putting the master/wired unit in programming mode, then putting the remote in program mode. The programming ends when the lights blink 3 times. After the 3rd blink it exits programming mode. So I don't think there is a minimum time to wait. But I did try each switch several times after programming so there was a delay in when each was checked. They would work fine upon checking and then you go back later and at least one had lost programming, and the lights for that group was being controlled by the wrong switch.
Ahhh

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am doing a kitchen remodel and due to wiring access problems I'm using Caseta wireless switches with Pico remotes. I've used these many many times with no problems. But I think this is the first time I have used multiple Casetas together in ganged boxes. I have 11 LED recessed lights on Caseta #1 and two LED lights on Caseta #2. Both in a 3-gang box. The Picos are also ganged at the other end
For those not familiar with how these work, the Caseta wireless replaces a mechanical switch and you place the Pico remote at desired location. Just a way to make a 3-way switch circuit without the wiring between switches. You put the Caseta into program mode then go to the Pico and put it in program mode, then the units pair up and lights can be controlled from each location.

The problem I'm having is when I program/pair Caseta #1 the lights turn on/off as they should. When #2 is program/paired they also work as expected.
Then suddenly Caseta #1 switch turns off/on all lights, including those controlled by the Caseta #2. Then Caseta #2 doesn't do anything.
So I start all over and each switch works as expected, then after a while, the problem returns.
I think I program/paired these 3 times, they were working correctly when I left but don't know if they will remain that way.

Only thing I noticed is there is a slight flicker on the switch that controls only the two lights. I think I'm going to have to add the MLC (minimum load capacitor) as the two lights don't have enough load for the Caseta. Could this have any bearing on why one switch looses programming and the other takes over for all the lights?
Have you (do I dare write it) reached out to Lutron Tech support?
They can be helpful at times.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Have you (do I dare write it) reached out to Lutron Tech support?
They can be helpful at times.
Not yet, I thought I would ask here first. Seems people that have actually seen the problem are the best to ask. I spent an hour on the phone with Lutron once, with no solution to the problem. Asked here and got the solution quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.