LV 12VDC Halogen lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
gndrod said:
Hi Bob, Good question for residential high end channeled hoods. The fan and speed controls are UL1917 and UL507 but no hood.

Just because there is a UL standard for an item is not requirement that the item meet that standard.

The NEC requires certain items to be listed, I don't believe hood fans or their controls are required to be UL listed.

That said it would surely speed inspection along if they are.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hi Dennis, Would it be too much to show a NC article 300 quote on the LV requirement? Or is it [411.4(A)] exactly?
The article is 411.4(A)-- Lighting systems operating at 30 volts or less. I may have miswrote article 300-- I meant Chapter 3--- sry. The wire that is usually supplied with the puck lights are not meant to be concealed according to Chapter 3- wiring methods and materials. I don't believe Chapter 3 tells of every wiring method that is not legally but it does state which ones are from article 320 on. Article 411.4 (A) just states that low voltage wiring that is concealed must be installed by the wiring methods of Chapter 3. I see the inspectors point so I don't install puck lights concealed anymore.

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
Remember Bob that we inspectors sometimes have to make very unpopular decisions.

Is this decision within the rules set out by 90.4?

90.4 applies to AHJs, most times inspectors are not the AHJ.

We are not perfect.

None of us are. :)

Inspectors have a tough job, I doubt you can find a single post where I have indicated otherwise.

Also try to remember that all details of such events are hard to post, otherwise my lengthy posts would be more boring than they are already:)

Not boring to those of us here. :)

gndrod

Bob,
Point well taken. Might that include bathroom vent fans also? I haven't run across NEC appliance listed requirements in that area either unless HVAC codes ref the White book.

Status
Not open for further replies.