LV Contractor Extending Power Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammer97

Hi All,
I'm a Low Voltage contractor (C-7) in California.
My question is, can I extend a 115/120 VAC power receptacle to facilitate the plugging in of my installed equipment? Keeping in mind that the extending of the power receptacle is a very small portion of the entire job.

Thanks in advance
Jammer97

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With the caveat that I don't know the details of Ca., I'd say no, you cannot do any any permanent, hard-wired installation.

Jammer97

Found this in the California State contractors websight

Found this in the California State contractors websight

Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit a specialty contractor from taking and executing a contract involving the use of two or more crafts or trades, if the performance of the work in the crafts or trades, other than in which he or she is licensed, is incidental and supplemental to the performance of the work in the craft for which the specialty contractor is licensed.

(b) In public works contracts, as defined in Section 1101 of the Public Contract Code, the awarding authority shall determine the license classification necessary to bid and perform the project. In no case shall the awarding authority award a prime contract to a specialty contractor whose classification constitutes less than a majority of the project. When a specialty contractor is authorized to bid a project, all work to be performed outside of his or her license specialty, except work authorized by subdivision (a), shall be performed by a licensed subcontractor in compliance with the Subletting and Subcontracting Fair Practices Act (Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 4100) of Part 1 of Division 2 of the Public Contract Code).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Jammer97 said:
Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit a specialty contractor from taking and executing a contract involving the use of two or more crafts or trades, if the performance of the work in the crafts or trades, other than in which he or she is licensed, is incidental and supplemental to the performance of the work in the craft for which the specialty contractor is licensed.
I can see this referring to either a plumber or an electrician doing both the plumbing and the wiring to, for example, replacing a water heater, bit not install a new one.

But I don't see it referring to either a plumber or an electrician doing both plumbing and wiring to, for example, relocate a water heater, nor install a new one.

In other words, if, by "extend a 115/120 VAC power receptacle", you mean install a new receptacle outlet on an existing circuit, I'd say you need a real electrician.

Jammer97

I had left out the first paragraph of the law as stated on the California Contractors web sight, so here is the whole thing.

? 7059. Rules and regulations affecting classification of contractors;
Contracts involving two or more crafts; Public works contracts

(a) The board may adopt reasonably necessary rules and regulations to effect the classification of contractors in a manner consistent with established usage and procedure as found in the construction business, and may limit the field and scope of the operations of a licensed contractor to those in which he or she is classified and qualified to engage, as defined by Sections 7055, 7056, 7057, and 7058. A licensee may make application for classification and be classified in more than one classification if the licensee meets the qualifications prescribed by the board for such additional classification or classifications. The application shall be in a form as prescribed by the registrar and shall be accompanied by the application fee fixed by this chapter. No license fee shall be charged for an additional classification or classifications.

(b) In public works contracts, as defined in Section 1101 of the Public Contract Code, the awarding authority shall determine the license classification necessary to bid and perform the project. In no case shall the awarding authority award a prime contract to a specialty contractor whose classification constitutes less than a majority of the project. When a specialty contractor is authorized to bid a project, all work to be performed outside of his or her license specialty, except work authorized by subdivision (a), shall be performed by a licensed subcontractor in compliance with the Subletting and Subcontracting Fair Practices Act (Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 4100) of Part 1 of Division 2 of the Public Contract Code).

Added Stats 1939 ch 37 ? 1. Amended Stats 1941 ch 971 ? 9; Stats 1945 ch 1159 ? 5; Stats 1957 ch 2084 ? 21; Stats 1966 ch 4 ? 1; Stats 1983 ch 891 ? 5; Stats 1987 ch 485 ? 1.

peter d

Well, look at it this way. If in California, a landscaper can do electrical work related to their contract (pool, hot tub, landscape lighting, barbecue pit, etc) then it stands to reason that you can extend a receptacle circuit for your equipment.

peter d said:
Well, look at it this way. If in California, a landscaper can do electrical work related to their contract (pool, hot tub, landscape lighting, barbecue pit, etc) then it stands to reason that you can extend a receptacle circuit for your equipment.

I've been a licensed contractor in California for 25 years and am unfamiliar with this provision. Can you post a link to it?

mthead

LV Contractor Extending Power Receptacles

Seems to me that "Larry Fine" put the answer there in his first post reply-No ,you may not perform work that by definition[said "definition" being determined by,any or all of the following-1]nec,2]the ahj or state authority,3]the local authority, or 4]the agency-3rd party or not -that has ultimately been given the responsibility of "inspecting" the work and appropriately applying code requirements.
What does all this mean to the every man?
It means there is more to all codes than meets the eye.

You may think you've found allowance in one code[local building codes,permitting requirements] to bolster your viewpoint[i.e...,yes you can extend that little-stretch of wiring to install the recpt where you want it -even though you're not a qualified electrician aware of all that may be entailed].

The fact is you must read the entire code --some where in the wonderfully clear language that all code is written in you'll find that the those who make up the rules have ultimately abdicated responsibility and liability and passed it back to the locale who then gives it back to the 3rd party inspection agency.

When the case arises that you are allowed to self inspect --realize that is not God helping you but in fact a situation of God Help You --That is someone [state ,city,local gov't ]trying to set you up to be the only one liable.

Were what I tell you now not true ,then there would be no reason for me to be doing the special inspct's that I am called upon to do [in addtn to my assigned LINY areas]requested by both state,private and public entities in NYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.