M Holt, Electrical Exam book 2014, Load Calc question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I'm currently working my way through Mike's 2014 Elctrical Exam book in preparation to take my Master Electrician exam in October. I have 6 years in as a Journeyman after a 4 year state sponsored apprenticeship.

Regarding load calculations, I've always been taught, when doing a standard option load calc that you have to add in 25% of the largest motor [220.14(C)]. In Holt's book he makes no mention of this and does not do it. This has really been bugging me as to why I've been taught to do it, and he doesn't mention it at all.

I reside currently in North Dakota, they have annual continuing ed classes (required) and they do it in those classes. I got my J-man cert in Montana, did my apprenticeship there, and it was done there also. I just dug out one of my appreticeship text books (Electical Wiring Residential - Mullin) and he does it in the text book as well.

Why doesn't Mike Holt address it at all in his books? I'm confused by this! I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly before I sit for my exam.

Thanks for any insight!
BigSky

Status
Not open for further replies.