Magnetic Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennie

Esteemed Member
There is credible evidence that persons who have an MRI scan experience an improvement in any signs of depression. Studies have proven the fields applied to the brain, have a positive impact on a patients well being.

I had a scan yesterday. I do feel fine, but not sure of the degree in improvement.

So far I have had a CT, PET, Echo-cardiagraph, and MRI scan. The PET scan costs in excess of 4 thousand.

The MRI is something else. The noise is worse than a Chinese New Year held in the streets of Paris. Anyone with claustrophobia should get sedated first.

I predict the next business venture will be magnetic therapy for the public. There is already oxygen bars, and tanning salons. All you entrepreneurs put some thought on this concept.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Magnetic Fields

Hello Bennie, I sure hope all is well. The new open MRI's are a blessing for claustrophobics.

After your PET scan, did you have to take special precautions after going home to safe guard others in the house?

You don't have to answer if this is to sensitive, and please accept my apologies.

Roger

[ April 10, 2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

Hello Roger: After the PET scan, the instructions were to not get close to any babies, or expectant women, for 6 hours after the radioactive chemicals were injected.

The chemicals are the reason for the high cost.

Ed MacLaren

My wife, who is claustrophobic, had an MRI recently. She (jokingly) said she would rather die than go through that again. :eek:

Ed

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Ed, my father said the same thing.

My mother is so claustrophobic (couldn't even stay in the haunted house at Disney World) she could never deal with a conventional MRI.

Roger

bennie

Esteemed Member

I have always believed that 60 Hertz magnetic fields scramble the molecules in the human body.

The intense DC field from an MRI, alignes the molecules in the order intended.

I did have a few minor muscle spasms during my test.

I do not believe a human should be subjected to artificial fields. But it may be too late to correct now. Maybe we should go to DC.

[ April 10, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: bennie ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by bennie: The intense DC field from an MRI, aligns the molecules in the order intended.
Not quite. It?s electron spin, not molecules, that are aligned, and that are thereafter detected. But what the scan is looking for is density (i.e., weight per unit volume).

Some of us, which is to say those of us who have not taken a vow to forget it, may recall an item in Algebra about ?two equations in two unknowns.? Those of us who took the next few steps learned about more equations in more unknowns. What we learned was that if you had the same number of equations as the number of unknowns, and if the two sets of things did not contradict or repeat each other, then you could find a solution.

The magnetic field of an MRI causes the spins of electrons to align in a given direction. But what is the most common molecule in the human body? Why a water molecule, of course. So when the electron spins in the single electron that surrounds a Hydrogen atom within a water molecule all align one way (because of the direction of the magnetic field imposed by the MRI), and when they change directions when the field is made to change, and when they change directions again when the field is made to change again, and when they change directions once again when the field is made to change once again, and this happens many many times, what you wind up with is a large number of equations in a equal number of unknowns. The result is that you get to see what portions of the area being scanned are light weight (as in water), and what are heavier weight (as in tumor), or what are even heavier weight (as in bone). An MRI scan would not be possible if we did not have computers that were capable of solving a set of that many equations in that many unknowns.

karl riley

Bennie, there is indeed a lot of research and application of magnetic fields for health purposes. Most of these are from European researchers. Small currents or fields can help bones to heal faster, etc.

A society which tracks both the research into negative effects and also positive effects is the Bioelectromagnetics society (do a search).

Here is a little item I read about somewhere: though electroshock treatment to the brain has been considered brutal (I tend to agree) but a psychic who deals with possession found that the electroshock in some cases actually expelled the possessing entity! It didn't like the sensation.

Karl

luke warmwater

I am not claustrophobic, but I did have an MRI and can say that it is tight in there. The headphones didn't help much, and I'm going deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.