mAh to KWH conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
OK...I'll bite. You're asking about kWh and converting it to mAhr. Watts is Amps X Voltage. Ohm's Law. You need voltage on both the source and the battery to solve the equation. Obviously, to charge a 12V battery, you need to apply more than 12V. The higher the voltage, the more the charging current. But Watts will be the same and Watts over a period of time will equal Watthours.. Time is from start of charge to full charge. So you need to know how many Watts (Amp X Volts) for how long to fully charge the battery. Just take the Ah and voltage of the battery, convert it to Watts, then figure how many Watts are expended for how long until the battery is completely discharged. Then reverse the calculation and apply a correction factor for the percentage of inefficiency of the charging apparatus. Recharge the battery with the needed number of Watthours and you have your solution. Of course, temperature will affect your values, so expect some percentage of error on your calculated vs actual values. Simple.:slaphead:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I believe also the capacity of a battery is a function of how it is discharged. Discharge it quickly, and I believe you get less energy out of it than if the process discharges if more slowly.
This is true.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Kitkat, realize WHY you received varying answers: You did NOT give all the info, nor even enough info, for a correct simple answer. There is NO answer possible to this question with only 26,800mAh given. Next time you ask a technical question, be sure to give ALL the info - as you finally did in your follow up post.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.