Main Bonding Jumper Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG_1

I have a question on Main Bonding Jumper location. My application is as follows:

An existing installation has a panelboard with a main circuit breaker located inside of the building. The panel with main circuit breaker inside the building is rated for 10 kAIC and the available short circuit current is greater than 10 kAIC. The utility has asked us to move the metering from inside the building to the outside. We are going to install a meter w/ current limiting main ciruit breaker located outside of the building in order to have an AIC rating of 22 kAIC to protect the equiment inside the bulding. Presently the main bonding jumper is inside the building. Since the service disconnect is now located outside of the building (MCB still exisits inside) do we need to move the main bonding jumper to be located in the meter with main circuit breaker?​

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a question on Main Bonding Jumper location. My application is as follows:

An existing installation has a panelboard with a main circuit breaker located inside of the building. The panel with main circuit breaker inside the building is rated for 10 kAIC and the available short circuit current is greater than 10 kAIC. The utility has asked us to move the metering from inside the building to the outside. We are going to install a meter w/ current limiting main ciruit breaker located outside of the building in order to have an AIC rating of 22 kAIC to protect the equiment inside the bulding. Presently the main bonding jumper is inside the building. Since the service disconnect is now located outside of the building (MCB still exisits inside) do we need to move the main bonding jumper to be located in the meter with main circuit breaker?​

You do need both the main bonding jumper and the ground electrode connection to be located at or near the service disconnect, assuming that POCO will not allow you to connect your GEC inside the meter enclosure itself.

P.S.: You asked the same question at http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=169489&p=1647826&highlight=#post1647826. Try not to repeat questions even if you do not get an immediate answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.