Main bonding jumper size

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 5 sets if #400 service conductor incoming into switchboard. The main bonding jumper size shown is 5-1/0 awg in parallel.

I see that 5x400= 2000 and 2000*.125 = 250 kcmil size main bonding jumper.

When I see 5-1/0 awg thaf equal to 105560*5=527.8kcmil which is greater than 250kcmil required size

However i wanted to make sure. Can one have 5 - 1/0awg in parallel as main bonding jumper or not?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No MBJ's can't be paralleled. Your calculation provided the correct size. Are you sure these #1/0's aren't SSBJ's?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
No MBJ's can't be paralleled. Your calculation provided the correct size. Are you sure these #1/0's aren't SSBJ's?

Yes I am sure these are main bonding jumper and NOT SSBJ. see below snap shot. The engineer also has provide grounding electrode conductor 5-#1/0 awg.

Where in NEC 2017 it says main bonding jumper cannot be paralleled?

fda485a66c094c71e510931943a2006a.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well besides the fact that the designer is a clown the gear should have a MBJ included in the form of a strap

kkyyllee

Occupation
building inspector
250.68 (a)
(A) Material
Main bonding jumpers and system bonding jumpers shall be of copper or other corrosion-resistant material. A main bonding jumper and a system bonding jumper shall be a wire, bus, screw, or similar suitable conductor.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
250.68 (a)
(A) Material
Main bonding jumpers and system bonding jumpers shall be of copper or other corrosion-resistant material. A main bonding jumper and a system bonding jumper shall be a wire, bus, screw, or similar suitable conductor.
The material is not being questioned and you might want to check your reference.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
True I cant argue that with designer. If its not in code somewhere how can it be enforced?
The NEC {250.102(C)(1)} tells you how to size the MBJ. It doesn't say that you can use multiple smaller conductors to make a larger one. Also looking at the drawing the multiple #1/0's is likely an error.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The NEC {250.102(C)(1)} tells you how to size the MBJ. It doesn't say that you can use multiple smaller conductors to make a larger one. Also looking at the drawing the multiple #1/0's is likely an error.

It doesnt but it also doesnt say you cannot especially note #1 Table 250.102(C)(1) 5 sets of#1/0 awg total area is greater than 250kcmil.

I searched thru some old posted by someone else and I believe you had said in those post NEC 2017 Article 250.24(B)main bonding jumper must be unspliced and by paralleling them one is creating splice. See the link below post#4:

Sounds reasonable to not have parallel main bonding jumper?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It doesnt but it also doesnt say you cannot especially note #1 Table 250.102(C)(1) 5 sets of#1/0 awg total area is greater than 250kcmil.
It says that you calculate the bonding jumper (singular) size by the 12.5% rule. There is no wording that would suggest that multiple conductors can be used. Since you're doing plan review mark up the violation and send it back. The GEC to the water pipe is also wrong. The ground rods and CEE conductors are above the minimum required for a single conductor so there is no issue with them.

Table 250.102(C)(1) Grounded Conductor, Main Bonding Jumper, System Bonding Jumper, and Supply-Side Bonding Jumper for Alternating-Current Systems

Notes:
1. If the ungrounded supply conductors are larger than 1100 kcmil copper or 1750 kcmil aluminum, the grounded conductor or bonding jumper shall have an area not less than 121∕ 2 percent of the area of the largest ungrounded supply conductor or equivalent area for parallel supply conductors.