Main bonding jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

universal

Hi there

I am working on a 200 amp service that an electrician prior to me did not finish. He ran #6 to two grounding rods and also there was a #6 going to the water well casing. The addition is now sheetrocked and painted. From my knowledge it should be a #4 wire from the service to the cold water pipe. Entrance conductors are 4/0 AL. Now is very hard to run this #4 wire through the finished space without damaging walls. However there is a 100 amp subpanel in an unfinished part of the basement and it is connected with the main service with 1 1/4 PVC. There is enough space to run another #4 from the main and then through the sub to the cold water line. I could not find anything in the code book that would tell me if it would be OK to run MBJ through the same conduit with subpanel wires

Thanks

bphgravity

There is nothing in the NEC that prohibits where and how you run the grounding electrode conductor, other than the 250.64 requirements. (I don't think MBJ is the correct term for your situation) I don't think it is good design to install a GEC in raceways with other conductors, however there is likely no hazard that could result of the practice.

tonyi

Any compelling reason why you couldn't take the gnd outside then back inside near the panel? Might even be easier than trying to fish it through already pulled pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.