Main breaker inside building

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalanjeya

Is there any limitation to keep the building's main breaker location from the main entry of the same building ? what would be the distance from the main entrance if so ?

Please ........ guide

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am at home, and my code book is not, so I can?t be certain I have this right. I believe the rule says that the service disconnecting means (and that does not have to be a breaker) must be either outside, or inside nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. Where that location might be has nothing to do with where the main entry door is located.

The NEC does not give a maximum distance from the point at which the conductors enter the building to the service disconnecting means. In Washington State, a local rule puts the limit at 15 feet.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
celtic said:
Charlie....have you heard that the '05 NEC is free to view online:
I believe that I was the first person to post a link to the Free NEC on this Forum. That was a while ago, though. I think Charlemagne was still emperor then. :D

I also know that that free version is not easy to use. I suppose you get what you pay for. :roll:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
celtic said:
If it makes you feel any better, you can send me a stack of dead presidents :grin:
It wouldn't. Besides, I'd get arrested by the Secret Service, the first time I tried to exhume one of them.;)

e57

Some commentary from 230.70, basicaly it is up to the inspectors interpetation.

No maximum distance is specified from the point of entrance of service conductors to a readily accessible location for the installation of a service disconnecting means. The authority enforcing this Code has the responsibility for, and is charged with, making the decision as to how far inside the building the service-entrance conductors are allowed to travel to the main disconnecting means. The length of service-entrance conductors should be kept to a minimum inside buildings, because power utilities provide limited overcurrent protection and, in the event of a fault, the service conductors could ignite nearby combustible materials.
Some local jurisdictions have ordinances that allow service-entrance conductors to run within the building up to a specified length to terminate at the disconnecting means. The authority having jurisdiction may permit service conductors to bypass fuel storage tanks or gas meters and the like, permitting the service disconnecting means to be located in a readily accessible location. However, if the authority judges the distance as being excessive, the disconnecting means may be required to be located on the outside of the building or near the building at a readily accessible location that is not necessarily nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. See also 230.6 and Exhibit 230.15 for conductors considered to be outside a building.

CALIF_C10

e57 said:
Some commentary from 230.70, basicaly it is up to the inspectors interpetation.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it is always left up to the inspectors interpretation.....................

It's unfortunate when your interpretation doesn't match the inspectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.