Main breaker or short cable inside the wall

nakhtarsyed

Occupation
Electrical and Electronics Associated Eng
one black cable of the main breaker is showing 245 volts with Neutral and the second black cable is showing ZERO volts with Neutral When I off all sub breakers from the main Panel box, the cables of the main breaker show normal volts phase to neutral 110V and 110 V on the cables and black to black 245V. I am expecting Main Breaker is not good, what is your suggestion, please

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Your voltage readings do not make sense.
The line-line voltage should be a nominal 240V +/- 5%, so your 245V is within limits. Fixing this is the responsibility of the utility.

The Line-Neutral voltages should be 1/2 of the L-L voltage. So your value of 110V is not reasonable with your 245V reading. There is also the situation where the two L-N voltages are not equal, but their some is still the L-L voltage.

This is likely not a DIY issue to resolve by taking guidance from the internet.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
The line-line voltage should be a nominal 240V +/- 5%, so your 245V is within limits. Fixing this is the responsibility of the utility.

The Line-Neutral voltages should be 1/2 of the L-L voltage. So your value of 110V is not reasonable with your 245V reading. There is also the situation where the two L-N voltages are not equal, but their some is still the L-L voltage.

He's picking up the same voltage potential to ground when it's running through his 240 loads. Lost phase not lost nuetral.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
He's picking up the same voltage potential to ground when it's running through his 240 loads. Lost phase not lost nuetral.
Really? The OPe says with something turned off the voltages are correct.

My point is his voltages do not make sense.
And, I have no idea where the voltage measurements were taken, line side or load side of the main breaker.

The OP mentions turning sub breakers off, what are these?
Has the main breaker ever been turned off?

I feel this is beyond a normal self-taught learning experience problem.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Really? The OPe says with something turned off the voltages are correct.

My point is his voltages do not make sense.
And, I have no idea where the voltage measurements were taken, line side or load side of the main breaker.

The OP mentions turning sub breakers off, what are these?
Has the main breaker ever been turned off?

I feel this is beyond a normal self-taught learning experience problem.
Yes he's picking up through heat elements or something. When he has load on the panel he's losing what little ghost voltage that's coming through. I hope he replies with what the fix was if it was when they hire an electrician.

nakhtarsyed

Occupation
Electrical and Electronics Associated Eng

Yes he's picking up through heat elements or something. When he has load on the panel he's losing what little ghost voltage that's coming through. I hope he replies with what the fix was if it was when they hire an electrician.
Mr Jim Dungar: The voltage is measured at the point input of the main breaker ). The voltages are found OKay in both conditions when the Main breaker is ON Or even OFF The problem is when started ON sub breakers one by one the voltages in the input/output of the Main breaker show Zero volts ( one Line to Neutral ) and the second line shows 245 volts ( neutral to line ). I am expecting the Main breaker to be faulty from the inside. The utility company Tech arrived and he said there was no issue from their side, Call the tech to check the main breaker or inside house wiring now waiting for the Electrical Tech