Main disconnect versus service disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckelley3

I am installing a subpanel in a detached garage that is fed from the main house panel. There are labels for both "main disconnect" and "service disconnect" that came with the new subpanel. Am I correct to assume that the "main disconnect" label would be be the one to apply to the main breaker (that cuts off all power to the remaining breakers in the subpanel. Is the "service disconnect" label only to be used for the breaker/disconnect immediately downstream of the meter (which, in this case is the main house panel)?

ckelley3

Main breaker

Main breaker

So, what if I cannot find a breaker retainer for the panel (it is a 6 slot Homeline)? I will only have 3 circuits in the garage when I am done, one 220 and two 110's. I am a bit confused on the whole main breaker thing for a detached garage. I've read that I need a disconnecting means for the garage that is accessible in the garage, but also read that if there are less than 6 breakers a sub-panel, I do not.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Then perhaps you need the other labels. If you can use the 6 breaker disconnect rule (and you can as long as there is no wording on the panel indicating that you must have a main, and it is rated Suitable for use as Service Equipment), then each of the breakers is a Service Disconnect. I don't think most inspectors would have a problem using a 6 slot panel with no main, but there have been numerous posts here about when you can and can't use that 6 handle rule in a panel of X slots.

In every label set I've seen, you get 6 service disconnect labels and one main disconnect label.

Howard Burger

408.36 d

408.36 d

You have a point, about the six breaker rule. I've always installed larger panels. I do wonder about the back feed breaker rule in 408.36.D and why it's there - to protect us if the plug in breaker comes loose while we have the cover off?

Status
Not open for further replies.