Main on Subpanels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towzzer

Does the NEC require in any situations that a sub-panel have a main? (i.e. lengh from main panel, number of circuits)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Main on Subpanels

In general, as long as the sub-panel is in the same building as the power source the NEC does not require a main. Overcurrent protection for the sub-panel is required, but it does not have to be in the form of a main.
Don

added left out word

[ September 01, 2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

macmikeman

in any situations
This is why I replied yes it does. As Don points out, seperate buildings is where it can be required. Other requirements apply when multifamily dwellings have service disconects that are in locked rooms , and unavailable to the tenants.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by macmikeman: Other requirements apply when multifamily dwellings have service disconnects that are in locked rooms , and unavailable to the tenants.
But even then you don't have to have a main on each tenant's panel, if the owner arranges for someone to be available 24/7/365 with a key to the room containing the individual disconnects.

So my answer would be "Yes, but only in very limited situations."

Can someone please clarify this.

Situation : Feeder to remote garage apartment ( multiwire )

Question : Is disconnect required at House, garage panel or BOTH ?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

You need a disconnecting means at the garage. It can be a simple (i.e., non-fused)disconnecting switch on the outside. It could be a main breaker in the panel inside the garage.

You also need overcurrent protection for the feeder conductors from the house to the garage. This is usually done by having a circuit breaker in the house panel protect the feeder conductors to the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.