Main or sub panel as jb

Status
Not open for further replies.

stedder

I know it happens and is okay to make a splice in a panel to extend conductors to reach a breaker or combine feeders. Is it okay to splice through a load center and not terminate in the panel? (not for a generator panel). I have run into it yet again and it just seems wrong.a set of conductors come in the bottom of a panel and are wire nutted to a set of conductors leaving the top of the panel thus using the panel as nothing more than a splice point. Where is it in the code if it is?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes it's not a problem but it does require that the panel is prvoided with a label. Look at 312.8.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where is it in the code if it is?
It's permitted by not being prohibited. Imagine a switch or timer nippled into a panel to control a circuit.

There are space-fill limitations, but you'll never approach them.

Added: Thank you, Rob. (y)

stedder

This is a flush mount panel, and the wires come in from the bottom and go out the top there is no equipment other than the panel in that area so it's like a splice box for that set of wires there are no switches or timers adjacent to that area

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I want to dig deeper but I'm not sure if the customer want me to without an explanation
Dig deeper? Are you wondering if it isn't good practice to splice feed through conductors in a panel? I don't see an issue if you follow the requirements in Article 312.

stedder

So, looks like the furthest I have to dig is to find the ocpd in the main panel and label the conductors as such. Seems to be more of an inconvenience than anything else. Damn, and I wanted to be grumpy!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So, looks like the furthest I have to dig is to find the ocpd in the main panel and label the conductors as such. Seems to be more of an inconvenience than anything else. Damn, and I wanted to be grumpy!
Ah so that's what you meant by digging deeper. Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.