maintenance electrician ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckman

I believe this question has been asked before and i would like to get some information from some of the maintenance electricians on here.
What are some of the job requirements to be a lead electrician?
What are a maintenance electricians work tasks ?
What level of education do you think a position of lead electrician should hold?
This is for an industrial work plant dealing with 480/277
Any other information you have as far as work requirements. or ability.

Thanks for the help in advance.

kwired

Electron manager
I can't answer your questions but will say the answers to some of them may depend on what the employer expects from their maintenance electricians and what they expect to contract out.

Eng

Up to the owner. But, if you are dealing with 277/480V work and I was the owner, I would require at least 1 of my maintenance staff to have a journeymen license and the others graduate of an electrical construction program, or some other Building Utility Mechanic program.

Barndog

I believe this question has been asked before and i would like to get some information from some of the maintenance electricians on here.
What are some of the job requirements to be a lead electrician?
What are a maintenance electricians work tasks ?
What level of education do you think a position of lead electrician should hold?
This is for an industrial work plant dealing with 480/277
Any other information you have as far as work requirements. or ability.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Controls experiance both hard wired and PLC interface.

darrenh

Duties: Trouble shoot electrical failures and resolve them in a manner that the problem is corrected and lessons learned so that same failure will not occur again
Perform preventive and predictive maintenance on various types of industrial electrical equipment.
Switch gear
MCC's
Motors
Motor starters
Motor operated valves
uninterrupted power systems
batteries
variable speed drives
Substations
switch racks
PLC's
These are all important pieces of electrical equipment that are important to maintain to keep the plant running reliable and I'm sure I forgot many more.
As for schooling it really good to have a schooling background. But experience is one of the main things that one would need. There are so many different types and styles of equipment out there the more experience the better. And the plant should provide training to the new hires as far as any specialty equipment that may be in the plant

jeremysterling

I would suggest an ex-Navy Electrician's Mate. Shipboard maintenance is good experience for an industrial maintenance position. Candidate may have to be brought up to speed on OSHA and NFPA regs.

kwired

Electron manager
Up to the owner. But, if you are dealing with 277/480V work and I was the owner, I would require at least 1 of my maintenance staff to have a journeymen license and the others graduate of an electrical construction program, or some other Building Utility Mechanic program.

I may make a similar statement but would not include the 277/480 volt in the statement. I would have same expectation for all under 600 volt systems.

The journeyman would need to have industrial experience. Someone who has done residential work only is not a journeyman in an industrial setting no matter what the card they have says. They may have competence for an entry level position.

mbeatty

I would suggest an ex-Navy Electrician's Mate. Shipboard maintenance is good experience for an industrial maintenance position. Candidate may have to be brought up to speed on OSHA and NFPA regs.

Great suggestion! Most Electrician's Mates have a great deal of experience in operating, troubleshooting and maintaining many control and power systems. They have also recieved a great deal of training in general and specific electrical/electronic equipment maintenance and repair. :happyyes:

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
As a former Electrician's Mate (EM1) I have found that my experiances have put me at least one step above most electricians from the industry--for the reasons stated-- the more rounded experiance and especially the troubleshooting, being able to ts something without a print and building one in my head, and being able to "think outside the box" for ways to repair equipment. This is NOT intended to cut down anyone elses training etc, just an observation

kwired

Electron manager
As a former Electrician's Mate (EM1) I have found that my experiances have put me at least one step above most electricians from the industry--for the reasons stated-- the more rounded experiance and especially the troubleshooting, being able to ts something without a print and building one in my head, and being able to "think outside the box" for ways to repair equipment. This is NOT intended to cut down anyone elses training etc, just an observation

I think it may have a little to do with the importance of the work done in the Navy. The training you receive before ever serving on a craft or even some critical land based facilities is likely more serious about finding people that can do the work, not only effeciently but also accurately and maybe even under stressful situations at times. In other words the ones that are not cut out to do it are weeded out before being assigned duty at these places. Others may not be out of the Navy but end up taking another specialty. Army it was called MOS- not sure if Navy used same terminology.

mbeatty

I think it may have a little to do with the importance of the work done in the Navy. The training you receive before ever serving on a craft or even some critical land based facilities is likely more serious about finding people that can do the work, not only effeciently but also accurately and maybe even under stressful situations at times. In other words the ones that are not cut out to do it are weeded out before being assigned duty at these places. Others may not be out of the Navy but end up taking another specialty. Army it was called MOS- not sure if Navy used same terminology.

kwired,
You nailed it on the head. The "weeding out" process does tend to place military people in jobs that they are more likely to succeed in. :happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
kwired,
You nailed it on the head. The "weeding out" process does tend to place military people in jobs that they are more likely to succeed in. :happyyes:

They also use some placement testing methods at enlistment time to find out what areas potential enlistees may be interested in doing. Some are already weeded out of certain jobs before they ever enlist.

wptski

Great suggestion! Most Electrician's Mates have a great deal of experience in operating, troubleshooting and maintaining many control and power systems. They have also recieved a great deal of training in general and specific electrical/electronic equipment maintenance and repair. :happyyes:
What type of electronic equipment are you refering to? I was an Electronics Technician in the Navy way back. When I first got on a ship some of the communication equipment was so old, they were powered by MG units housed in a seperate room. The Electricians didn't even touch these, they were ours. I can remember taking parts to a repair ship to be rewound one time. Now, that work was performed by Electricians on the repair ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.