Major switchgear manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCEC

I'm reviewing some old spec's and have questions regarding the players in today's electrical landscape relative to many moons ago. Who are the major switchgear (Panels, Disconnects, MCCs, Enclosed cct brkrs...) manufacturers? I'm thinking Seimens, Schneider (gobbled up Square D & Federal Pioneer), GE & Cutler Hammer. Are there other common ones I'm not thinking of? Does Westinghouse still make MCCs or were they gobbled up by GE? How about Allen Bradley?

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO

Siemens makes the best panel boards, followed closely by Schneider. It is pretty much a toss up.

AB makes the best MCCs.

Switchboards are something we don't do much of but I like what I have seen of Eaton.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Westinghouse is now Eaton (Cutler Hammer and Klockner Moeller), although the T&D (Transmission and Distribution) utility gear from Westinghouse was bought by ABB.

Rockwell/A-B is only controls; MV and LV MCCs, drives, PLCs, DCS systems etc. No switchgear or panels.

Rockwell and GE are the only remaining US companies as well.

Sq. D is Schneider = French
ABB = Swiss
Eaton = Irish
Siemens = German

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Westinghouse is now Eaton (Cutler Hammer and Klockner Moeller), although the T&D (Transmission and Distribution) utility gear from Westinghouse was bought by ABB.

Rockwell/A-B is only controls; MV and LV MCCs, drives, PLCs, DCS systems etc. No switchgear or panels.

Rockwell and GE are the only remaining US companies as well.

Sq. D is Schneider = French
ABB = Swiss
Eaton = Irish
Siemens = German

I been told that Siemens makes more stuff in the US than Allen Bradley does. Don't know how true that is.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
I'm reviewing some old spec's and have questions regarding the players in today's electrical landscape relative to many moons ago. Who are the major switchgear (Panels, Disconnects, MCCs, Enclosed cct brkrs...) manufacturers? I'm thinking Seimens, Schneider (gobbled up Square D & Federal Pioneer), GE & Cutler Hammer. Are there other common ones I'm not thinking of? Does Westinghouse still make MCCs or were they gobbled up by GE? How about Allen Bradley?
Westinghouse ( I used to work as a field engr in the 70's) LV products and field service were bought by Cutler Hammer (date ?) then later by Siemens and now Eaton. As I recall ABB bought the MV swgr and transformer division at the same time as the C-H acquisition. George Westinghouse and Thomas Edison (GE founder) were the pioneers (and bucked heads) in the early days of elec power distribution in the US. George was AC, Edison was DC but George won the contest (with the help of N. Tesla) There are good documentries on youtube but the best one is around 1.5 hrs long and tells the whole story.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
As far as I know the only company that retains the Westinghouse brand name is Westinghouse Nuclear (Power Generation.)

New Switchgear Manufactures I see in SF bay area:
GE, Eaton, Square D and IEM (local.)
And a lot of old brand names (50yrs!): ITE, FPE, ASCO, Russelectric, Lakeshore, Zenith, Kohler, onan, etc. that keeps us in business ! :D

sorry
I was cut off during editing!

Status
Not open for further replies.