Make ice or buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
100811-1859 EST

petersonra:

100% efficiency and maybe 10 to 1 would apply. However, usually 3 or 4 to 1 are given for heat pumps that are working over a smaller temperature range than my tests. I have very inefficient units, but they serve my purpose.

I would like to see some experimental data from some new supposedly highly efficient freezers comparable to my tests.

Our water temperature from the tap yesterday was 70 deg F and ambient air has been around 90. Most of our water is river water with maybe 20 % from wells. Our river is shallow and probably is pushing toward ambient. Then there are the large water towers that get some sun heating.

In any event the cost to chris to freeze his own water is small and he can save move than $100 per year and probably have colder ice.

johneyw

Ice

Ice

I would get in touch with one of the ice companies that sell to Circle K, Tom Thumb, etc and lease the cooler (next to nothing if you use a lot of ice). Let me know when it is full, will be going fishing in the Keys soon.

gar

Occupation
EE
100812-1719 EST

rattus:

Ice is water at any temperature below the freezing point.

When lowering the temperature around water below its freezing point the frozen water temperature does not just stop at the freezing point. For a while it does but after you have taken 144 BTUs per pound from the water at the freezing point then below freezing there is a change of 0.503 BTU / # / deg F. Whereas above freezing the change is about 1 BTU / # / deg F. But I think you know this.

Your comment "how can melting ice be colder than 32 deg. F" I don't believe related to my comment about colder ice. On the other hand melting ice can be colder than 32 by adding salt.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
You know, you can ask what you think will be a simple question here and end up getting an education you never dreamed of. This is a great place.

FWIW, I'm making ice as we speak.:)

rattus

100812-1719 EST

rattus:

Ice is water at any temperature below the freezing point.

When lowering the temperature around water below its freezing point the frozen water temperature does not just stop at the freezing point. For a while it does but after you have taken 144 BTUs per pound from the water at the freezing point then below freezing there is a change of 0.503 BTU / # / deg F. Whereas above freezing the change is about 1 BTU / # / deg F. But I think you know this.

Your comment "how can melting ice be colder than 32 deg. F" I don't believe related to my comment about colder ice. On the other hand melting ice can be colder than 32 by adding salt.

Sure gar, I know all that, but shortly after the ice is thrown in the ice chest, it gains heat rapidly and starts to melt. Don't think I would add salt unless I was making ice cream--sounds like a good idea, but wifey has me on a diet. My refrigerator's freezer stays at about 0F; I would think that the freezers at the groceries, etc., are at least that cold.

No matter tho, I was just nit-picking!

gar

Occupation
EE
100812-2013 EST

rattus:

Yes I knew you were having fun.

But there are many viewers that need details to try to get an understanding as chris indicated. This can be a very educational site.

In trying to get some information on heat pumps I found a Canidian site that indicated that to reduce energy consumption in the summer thay use the ground field directly and do not run the compressor unless necessary. I do not know what their ground temperature is nor mine.

One of these days I will put a hole down and get some values.

Currently I am developing some packaging for the Dallas one-wire temperature sensors. These are quite a nice tool with which to work. With a small amount of additional circuitry within several hundred feet of the sensors I can get data from multiple sensors once every second and up to 4000 or so feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.