Make Sure You Make it Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Today is a bad day.

Today I learned a 24 year old co-worker will never make it home from work.

His wife will never hold him again.

His Parents will never speak to him again.

His unborn child will never know their Daddy.

I did not personally know him, still I find it tough to comprehend.

The details of the accident are not important, but I say to all..be careful at work, what we do can kill us.

rcarroll

My condolences. I always hate to hear thes things. A few years ago, in Denver Co, an apprentice was buried alive when he jumped into a trench to retrieve some tools. The backhoe operater never saw him.

JohnJ0906

We sometimes forget that we work in a trade with many hazards. Forget it at the wrong moment, and we dont go home. I saw a show on the History channel, they said the original linemen at the begining of last century had a 50 % mortality rate. It is safer today, but can still be lethal. My prayers are with his family.

emahler

and our guys wonder why we get pretty fanatical about safety. I've been doing this too long and seen too many guys get hurt, or worse, for no reason other than not paying attention.

Not saying that is they case by any means. But as stated above, we are in a dangerous business, whether we believe it or not. Let's not make the odds worse on purpose.

boboelectric

Thats why I always put the brakes on everyone in situations (lose of power,single phase,ect.) safety becomes secondary as does logic, trying to restore things to normal. Another hour without power won"t matter. People get rattled,and forget all their safety training they grumbled about having to suffer through.

Bob O.84,Pa.15330

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
My condolences, Bob.
icon9.gif

Kessler4130

My condolences aswell, these are the kind of things that make me anal about safety. If I feel unsafe it just won't get done unless we find another way, we only get one chance at life "in most cases" so please be careful and think of everyone else in your life before you do something you are unsure about.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Bob,

Sorry to hear of your terrible loss. We all need to remember that life is fragile, and to handle it with care.

God bless, that he may rest in peace.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My condolences too. This is just a reminder of how quickly life can change. Many years ago one of my good friends witnessed a coworker being crushed to death when a piece of switchgear toppled off of a flatbed trailer while being moved with a forklift. Many lives were forever changed in an instant by simple act of impatience.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Thanks for sharing the story, Bob. My heart, and my prayers, go out to his family, and to those of you who worked with him, as you struggle with your grief.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Never been hurt bad by electricity in 30 years, had a few stitches from sharp edges, but thats it. Never had any of my stuff blow, never had anything I've inspected blow or cause a problem and only know two or three guys that were hurt bad enough that they needed hopitalization.

I always and I do mean always erred on the side of caution and made sure that everyone around me did the same.

It saddens me that a wife will not kiss her husband goodnight tonight and a young son will never know his father and those are the very reasons that I was careful.

RIP

peter d

Electricians will continue to die and get injured as long as they continue to work on live equipment. The industry will not change until it get some muscle and stops putting the value of commerce over human life.

realolman

I am sorry.

God, who made the entire universe and all of us, will comfort his friends and family, and take him into His loving arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.