Mandatory backup power for HVAC systems in Heath Care Facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Would mandating cooling systems to be (required) on backup power in health care facilities and nursing homes be a worthwhile code proposal? While we do not know the specifics in this case, over the years I have seen many stories where facilities loose power and quickly become functionally inoperative due to the lack of AC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/us/nursing-home-deaths-florida.html?mcubz=0

Many major hospitals and level 1 trauma centers have moved to full backup power finding it pays for itself, but currently it is not required by code.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Nursing homes here in Fl are required to have an "alternative source of power" although there is no requirement as to what that shall be.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Not sure, heard it on NPR this morning. We take care of a number that have Genny's for life safety and critical but not HVAC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I expect that proposal would have to be to NFPA 99, and not NFPA 70. 99 is the controlling document for health care facilities.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I expect that proposal would have to be to NFPA 99, and not NFPA 70. 99 is the controlling document for health care facilities.

But 70 holds the requirements for what is to be backed up and to which branch/ATS. I mean the two go hand in hand, at least thats my understanding.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Yes 99 and 70 do go hand in hand. We are past the cutoff for first drafts for the 2020 NEC, if the NFPA 99 revision cycle starts in the next three years start there. Otherwise you will be on the 2023 NEC

kwired

Electron manager
But 70 holds the requirements for what is to be backed up and to which branch/ATS. I mean the two go hand in hand, at least thats my understanding.
The way I see it is if 99 would call an HVAC load a critical load then 70 would have to treat it as one. I could see this being more likely for surgical areas, critical care areas, etc. but more likely an optional load if to be transferred for general care areas.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
My understanding is that the NEC only provides the installation requirements, and NFPA 99 specifies what is to be backed up. In 517, the requirements that tell what is to be backed up all have a [bracketed] reference to NFPA 99. That means the information preceding the brackets has been extracted from 99.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
My understanding is that the NEC only provides the installation requirements, and NFPA 99 specifies what is to be backed up. In 517, the requirements that tell what is to be backed up all have a [bracketed] reference to NFPA 99. That means the information preceding the brackets has been extracted from 99.

Makes sense. So in order to change the NEC, I'd need to change 99, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.