Mandatory Utitlity disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJC

Utility makes it mandatory to have a service disconnect before their CT cabinet. Grounded conductor (neutral) is bonded to GEC and enclosure in the disconnect. Disconnect then feeds into Utility CT cabinet which then feeds into a main lug MDP. I now pick up the job from the MDP into the sub panels. I noticed that in the CT and MDP the grounded conductor(neutral) is bonded to the enclosure. I brought this up to the inspector thinking that this would create objectionable current considering both the CT and MDP are downstream from the service disconnect but I was told that it was fine. Can someone clarify if this is allowed bc of some Utility loophole or if I'm just downright wrong? Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Typically the "meter" disconnect is not the service disconnect, and you are permitted to use the grounded conductor for all bonding and grounding on the line side of the service disconnect.

kwired

Electron manager
Typically the "meter" disconnect is not the service disconnect, and you are permitted to use the grounded conductor for all bonding and grounding on the line side of the service disconnect.
It also isn't considered the "service disconnect" by the NEC, most cases and an additional "Service disconnect" is still required on the load side of their metering equipment.

Often that "meter disconnect" is an unfused switch. If there is no associated overcurrent protection it doesn't meet NEC definition of "service disconnecting means".

If POCO puts a lock on that disconnect, they often do so there is no easy access to unmetered conductors, then any overcurrent devices inside would not be accessible to the user - which also would not make it a NEC compliant service disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.