manhole detail and drawing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

We (electrical designers) are working on a design with civil folks, and they are asking us to provide a manhole detail drawing…
I never heard or knew electrical has to design or draw manhole, need some advises here.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The electrical side must supply the required sizes and raceway layouts, then the civil side can design the actual structure.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We (electrical designers) are working on a design with civil folks, and they are asking us to provide a manhole detail drawing…
I never heard or knew electrical has to design or draw manhole, need some advises here.
I had this happen once on a project in an earthquake zone. We just had the PE that was doing the electrical construction drawings add it to their drawings. It was not a big deal for them 30 some years ago, so I imagine it could be done today as well.

JoeStillman

I've never worked with a civil engineer that knew how to size one. We design them ourselves when we need them. There's lots of details you can steel acquire on the interwebs. I know some of the precast concrete manufacturers have handy product info on their web pages.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I've never worked with a civil engineer that knew how to size one. We design them ourselves when we need them. There's lots of details you can steel acquire on the interwebs. I know some of the precast concrete manufacturers have handy product info on their web pages.
The PE firm had EEs that worked on the system. They had drawings of all the trapezes that held up the conduits, the wall penetrations, on UG services, so it was not real hard for them to add the UG electrical stuff. The city where it was going had some pretty strict earthquake rules and there had to be drawings of the structural details of just about everything.

We just farmed it out to a PE firm, as we had no one who knew anything about it.

anbm

Do you have/know website address?

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
The Electrical Physical Design will design the duct bank and manhole general arrangement [layout], since we know what cables are and from where to where they will run.
We have a list of manhole type ,also.
See the typical attached sketches.

Attachments

• Cable Duct and Manholes Layout.jpg
    Cable Duct and Manholes Layout.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 17

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
See attached standard ductbank and menhole [typical]

Attachments

• Standard Duct bank and Manhole.jpg
    Standard Duct bank and Manhole.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 9

anbm

The Electrical Physical Design will design the duct bank and manhole general arrangement [layout], since we know what cables are and from where to where they will run.
We have a list of manhole type ,also.
See the typical attached sketches.
can the manhole be square shape or has to be hexagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.