Manufacture spec's what does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Sort of the point I was trying to make earlier, if a listing agency is going to test a product an give it their label, and if instructions are a part of that listing, shouldn't poorly written or incorrect instructions fail the testing?
They should, but it appears some get through the cracks...

...and sometimes it seems the cracks are quite wide. :D

kwired

Electron manager

Seems today it will pass as long as it is written in at least 5 languages - but all they pay attention to is that there is 5 languages, they don't actually read any of them.

JFletcher

Seems today it will pass as long as it is written in at least 5 languages - but all they pay attention to is that there is 5 languages, they don't actually read any of them.

No kidding. Did some can lights last week...there were 3 inserts in each. I thought "man, that's wasteful, someone at xxxx is triple stuffing the directions". When I picked them up from the floor, I glanced at them... 6 languages, one per side.

JFletcher

Yeah JF, but have you noticed english isn't on top anymore....? ya gotta dig through it all.....~RJ~

Hadnt noticed. Last time I read the mfg instructions was LED trims, which mentioned nothing about the included gasket not installed. I figured they were for energy code, boss thought wet locations. I put em on anyway since doing it after the fact if required would be a huge pita, especially with an EGC screwed to the cans.

English is usually the front of a booklet. Still freaks me out at first to see a 120pg manual for something simple, only to realize the first 15 pages are English.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

It is UL's position that all instructions from the manufacturer have been evaluated and that is why they insist that all instructions are 110.3(B) instructions.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is UL's position that all instructions from the manufacturer have been evaluated and that is why they insist that all instructions are 110.3(B) instructions.
I think a suitable analogy is that while both my right and left hands get instruction from the same brain, neither hand knows what the other is doing.

If all instructions have been evaluated, I am often left wondering what kind of education or knowledge is required of the person(s) doing the evaluating.

user 100

I think a suitable analogy is that while both my right and left hands get instruction from the same brain, neither hand knows what the other is doing.

If all instructions have been evaluated, I am often left wondering what kind of education or knowledge is required of the person(s) doing the evaluating.

I still do not believe that they want someone to fuse a neutral on a ded 120v ckt for a 380w fan:happyno:

I believe this is likely a listed 120v product with instructions that erroneously included a phrase (a misprint from the factory- it happens) common to 240v appliance installation instructions from a manufacturer that makes both 120 and 240 equipment and/or components for such appliances, and UL obviously can't possibly always prevent those types of mistakes.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I still do not believe that they want someone to fuse a neutral on a ded 120v ckt for a 380w fan:happyno:

I believe this is likely a listed 120v product with instructions that erroneously included a phrase (a misprint from the factory- it happens) common to 240v appliance installation instructions from a manufacturer that makes both 120 and 240 equipment and/or components for such appliances, and UL obviously can't possibly always prevent those types of mistakes.
I'll agree they do not know what they should, and should not be writing instructions for electrical equipment.

UL should be able to prevent those type of mistakes if their listing of the product relegates us to following manufacturer's instructions, especially those that are in direct violation of Code.

kwired

Electron manager
I'll agree they do not know what they should, and should not be writing instructions for electrical equipment.

UL should be able to prevent those type of mistakes if their listing of the product relegates us to following manufacturer's instructions, especially those that are in direct violation of Code.

Which makes you wonder what else may have been missed in evaluation.

JFletcher

So, are you still at the job contemplating the instructions? :D

We need an exception to 110.3(B)

Exception: If instructions violate any other section of this Code, or are written/translated in a manner that renders the directed installation hazardous, said portion(s) of instructions may be ignored at the installer's choice.

I wouldnt be surprised at a fake UL mark.

I'm only half serious about a code change. Im sure 110.3(B) has had numerous attempts for amending, rewording, or exceptions, and been shot down in flames every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.