Manufactured housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockedby277v

I am about to cut in a outside GFI in a double wide trailer. I understand this part of the forum is for code use but couldn't decide where to put it. Perhaps we need one for tips and tricks. Is there a secret to cutting in vinyl siding???? And to make it code oriented , any code issues I should think about before doing this. :)

mdshunk

No secrets, but a RotoZip helps a lot. The Malco siding unzipper will help you if you have to unzip a piece or two of siding to for whatever reason. You wil also want to get your box mounted firmly to a stud and as flush with the vinyl siding as possible, as the vinyl is spongy. The Arlington "In-Box" is an excellent retro fit for vinyl siding. Also, the horizontal version of the Smart Box works very well to get the receptacle in one "flat" area of the vinyl siding so that a regular bubble cover will work well and seal against the vinyl.

Shockedby277v

I was thinking about busting out my rotozip for this... what worries me is, it's getting cold up here and that stuff seems brittle. Do you think it'll chip??

stickboy1375

The biggest problem I come across with vinyl siding, I will cut in my old work and use small head screws to fasten the metal box in place, but the problem with vinyl is that water always gets behind the siding and will run into the box basically destroying the gfi, So I always make sure caulk the box before I install the device or weather proof cover.

mdshunk

Shockedby277v said:
I was thinking about busting out my rotozip for this... what worries me is, it's getting cold up here and that stuff seems brittle. Do you think it'll chip??
Nope.... use a plaster bit. Don't use the drywall bit. Matter of fact, I use the plaster bit on almost everything. Much better results.

EDIT... by "plaster bit", I mean what the roto-zip people call their "tile bit". I call it a plaster bit, because it's the only thing that works in plaster.

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
I just use a new razor blade...
That probably would work on a manufactured home. There are various thicknesses of vinyl siding. I'm pretty certain that the thinnest possible stuff comes on a manufactured home. The "good stuff" is pretty darned thick, and you'd have bloody hands trying to cut good stuff with a kinfe, I feel sure. Who knows though. I keep a roto-zip handy on the truck, so it's no big deal really. I'm not so sure I'd want to try the knife idea on frozen siding, though. I leaned the extension ladder against frozen vinyl siding twice, and cracked a piece. There's a big quality difference, and you often don't know by looking. At least I can't tell.

ceknight

Shockedby277v said:
Is there a secret to cutting in vinyl siding????

You can cut through vinyl siding and the sheathing with a fine-toothed sawzall or jigsaw blade.

After you've marked your rectangle, sink a screw or nail through the middle of it. That'll keep things from flapping on you too much while you're cutting. Then just drill your pilot holes and cut.

mdshunk

By the way, if this is an older manufactured home, explore what the depth will be. In many of them, you can only get in a box that is about 2" deep. That often dictates putting a red dot box on the surface, if this is what you're up against. Check the door jamb to see how thick that outside wall is.

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:
That probably would work on a manufactured home. There are various thicknesses of vinyl siding. I'm pretty certain that the thinnest possible stuff comes on a manufactured home. The "good stuff" is pretty darned thick, and you'd have bloody hands trying to cut good stuff with a kinfe, I feel sure. Who knows though. I keep a roto-zip handy on the truck, so it's no big deal really. I'm not so sure I'd want to try the knife idea on frozen siding, though. I leaned the extension ladder against frozen vinyl siding twice, and cracked a piece. There's a big quality difference, and you often don't know by looking. At least I can't tell.

You definitely have to be more careful in colder weather but I never had a problem using a knife just need to go slowly, not try to cut through all at once, score it if you will... also works great on wood siding to keep the siding from chipping out when you are using a saw

Jim W in Tampa

JohnJ0906 said:
If it's cold, try to wait til the sun is on that side to warm it a little. And at any time, TAKE your time. If I rush, I crack or over-cut

If its cold i think i would rather drill a ring of very small holes than risk cracking it.Why not just use a bell box?

hillbilly

I usually pick a desired location for the receptacle and drill a small (1/8") diameter lead hole in the center of the outline just thru the siding and sheathing. I then use the (long) 1/8" bit to probe inside the wall to check for depth and make sure that there is no obstruction in the selected area.
If all is clear, I cut the hole in the vinyl with a rotozip and the sheathing with a jig-saw.
Just one way.
steve

JohnJ0906

Jim W in Tampa said:
If its cold i think i would rather drill a ring of very small holes than risk cracking it.Why not just use a bell box?
The thing about the bell box is amount it projects off if and when you use an in-use cover. The ring of small holes is how I do it, but you can still crack it if it is real cold. (Up here, thats like 20 degrees, not 45:D )

Jim W in Tampa

Even down here in Tampa i have cracked pvc pipe when its cold (40s)

Perhaps warm wall first with heat gun ??? not sure if thats good or bad to do.My real question is how do you manage to work in the 20's ?

Jim W in Tampa

JohnJ0906 said:
Listening to my helper whine always gives me a warm feeling!:D

Any time its under 35 i call in dead.Been here too long not about to ever be cold unless i can retire and not need leave home unless out of beer.Actualy i dont understand guys that work in the cold all there life then retire to Florida.If i dont need to go to work i would love to live in the hills of Tenn.Want plenty of food ,internet,fire wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.