Mare's Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Anyone have a photo of the mares tail?
I am having a hard time visualizing this with a three part rope on a bundle of cables.
Sorry about delayed response... internet connection went down 1/10 and just got it back this morning (via different provider).

Anyway, I've got no picture. Next best thing is an illustration...

marestail.gif

This depicts a six-strand tail made from three-strand rope.

As for the name, imagine what it look's like when the strands aren't wrapped around cable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Anyway, I've got no picture. Next best thing is an illustration...

marestail.gif

This depicts a six-strand tail made from three-strand rope.
How do you get six strands from three?

Did you make that pic? Very impressive.

If you had used black instead of green, it would be 3-phase rope. ;)

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It's alive! :grin:

I didn't see the U-turns under the duct tape. :cool:
There aren't any U-turns under the duct tape.

Imagine the eye splice bill linked to, but quite a bit more rope in the eye. Then cut the eye at the farthest point from the splice. You then have six equal-length strands, three of which are spliced into the main (or is it mane? :D).

However, the stronger version, at least I believe it is stronger, is to make the eye quite small, about the same as in the animation, just big enough to get another length of rope through the eye, and centered... then unravel the strands to both sides of the eye... and if one wants, splice a little back into itself... so its eye-to-eye before the tail.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
We build our own pulling socks using Bailing wire. Double it and form a loop for the rope to tie to - use six to eight feet to weave against itself times three runs. Good for at least 1200 pounds at the tugger.

edit - don't forget to tie wire the tails to avoid slippage! Hate to looose a pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.