Marine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midget

Anyone do Marine Electrical? I'm a little unclear on if you can just get your journeyman's ticket, then go do marine, or if it's seperate, or what. I'm also a little confused about if you'd only be working on ships, or what exactly the work involves. Also, I don't know how much work I'd be able to find doing in it Oreong... :)

peter d

Re: Marine...

I worked a while doing marine electrical. I grew up in Rhode Island (The "Ocean State") so I have been around boats all of my life.

I worked for someone that installed electronics and lighting systems on custom sports fishing boats in the $500,000 and up range. Since they come from the factory with no accesories on them whatsoever, it was our job to outfit them with every kind of electronic gizmo you can imagine: radar, gps, fishfinders, radios, lights, autopilots, engine controls, etc etc. I have to say that it was very interesting and fun work! :cool:

Most everything is 12 volts DC, although with pleasure boats the way they are these days (loaded!), there is quite a bit of 120/240 onboard in additon to generators and air conditioning systems. There isn't an enforced code per se, but there is a marine "code" called the ABYC standard .

As far as I know, there is no license required to work on pleasurecraft, however, that may be different on things like container ships and tankers. I'm not really sure. I'm pretty sure working on submarines requires some type of certification.

In this area (New England), there is a lot of marine electrical work to be found, however, it usually requires a huge amount of travel. So unless you live in area with a large amount of pleasure boats and/or shipbuilding going on, this work will be scarce.

midget

Sounds really neat :) Now I'm curious to know what it takes to be able to work on Tankers/Container Ships. :p

midget

Took me a while to remember what dramamine was...lol , but when I figured it out I laughed. :D

peter d

Midget, you're welcome.

I have been on a few large ships myself and the wiring systems on board are just as fascinating and complex as anything you will see on land. I went to a maritime academy for a year (I didn't like it) so once upon a time I thought I was destined to work at sea. :)

[ December 01, 2004, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by midget: Now I'm curious to know what it takes to be able to work on Tankers/Container Ships.
OK, kidding aside now. You will have to do some pondering over the differences between an on-board electrical system and most residential and commercial systems. Shipboard electrical distribution is usually fed by the ungrounded secondary conductors of delta-delta transformers. No part of the system is tied to the ship?s hull. You will also need to learn about the cathodic protection systems, including the way in which they pass current through the water to a sacrificial anode (to protect the underwater metal parts) and the way they connect to the electrical distribution system.

physis

I have seen a few fools install "land grade" equipment on boats and ships and it disintegrates very rapidly due to the harsh environment present on most vessels.
I used to have a big boat. One day (one of many, it was a thirty year old boat) I dropped my cordless in the bilge, which didn't have much water in it (it was a good boat). I dried it up and didn't use it till the next day. It didn't work. I took it apart and found that any copper about 5 thousandths or less didn't survive.

This was in a bay where the water was considered brackish, not as salty as real salt water. It's a really harsh environment. I'm surprised anything works more than a year out there.

midget

Yeah, I've read a few articles about how people will just find a resedential electrician and have them do stuff on their boats--and the work just doesn't last long. That's what seems so interesting, is the wiring probably isn't complicated, in terms of hooking stuff up--but the wiring methods, to make stuff work for long-term. :) Anyway...thanks for the info, guys!

physis

There's one other thing no one else has mentioned. Salt water is WAY more conductive than regular water (regular water :D ). It's really important to keep the power out of it.

midget

LOL oh yeah...I forgot that salt water was more conductive. Is Dielectric grease the same stuff used for SE cable when it connects to the meter base?

physis

Ever repair a bilge pump in "hot" water while the boat's goin down? (not mine)

Editted

[ December 02, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

Status
Not open for further replies.