Marketing & Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafis

I want to start a targeted marketing and advertising campaign to help generate repeat business as well as increase new business. Any input would be appreciated:

1. Have any of you found success with a particular method?
2. Where is the best place to find electrical related graphics such as tamper resistant receptacles, dimmer switches, etc.? I want graphics to use in marketing pieces such as postcards.

Thanks!

jsharvey

Advertising

Advertising

Seriously concider radio. My boss just started an ad on a local station last week for our Generac generators. Ad started Wed. by quitting time Friday, 36 calls, 8 sales. I think he said he had it set up to run 6 times a day but, I can't swear to that nor do I know how much it cost him.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
radio is good here, and door-to-door marketing as well.

as for pictures, i get mine off the manufacturer's websites.

satcom

Seriously concider radio. My boss just started an ad on a local station last week for our Generac generators. Ad started Wed. by quitting time Friday, 36 calls, 8 sales. I think he said he had it set up to run 6 times a day but, I can't swear to that nor do I know how much it cost him.

6 x a day here is about $5500 a week, door to door here,will get you a free night in the county lock up.

Last edited:
I have heard that radio is a good source. We have contemplated advertising there, and you want to look at the 30 something demographics on talk radio... I am told these people are the spenders and decision makers. Here, it costs about $65 - $85 per minute. Most ads are 30 seconds. A friend of mine is doing a front end / back end deal where they get 2 15 second spots at the front and back of each commercial break. That is 2 times the spots... it is all about impressions.

We have reduced our phone book advertising, and increased our internet advertising. A few hours on your part can help bring you to the first page on the search engines... and it won't cost you money... just time.

Beef up your website... make it better looking, and make it load fast. But don't make it all glitter. People want content.

I "advertise" with my contractors. And the contractors I like... I take good care of them. I take them to lunch, I get them Christmas gifts... etc. This is way better than advertising, and they utilize my services exclusively. And, it is ALL a write off...

Story: I spent 4 hours at one of the local hot tub stores on Saturday, as a vendor. I was the only one they invited. While I was there, I passed out my "Swartz Electric" coffee mug with a gift card and candy in it to the owner and sales manager (read: promotional item) and they haven't even called their "other" electrician. We have done 3 jobs for them in the last week... they called us directly. (We give good customer service too...) and today, I had an electrician at their office fixing their office... (not a freebie. They paid for it.) So, 4 hours turned into 4 exclusive jobs. If they are in a pickle, they call us, not the other guy... and he's been affiliated with them for 5 years.

Trade shows / Home shows / Business shows: We do not pay for them. We volunteer to staff them with our friendly contractors... I will put a banner up, pass out flyers (for me and my contractor), and even tell the person (whomever I am talking to) just how good my contractor is... I do this because every contract signed with my contractor will lead to a job for me. Again, great customer service... for them. Increased exposure... for me.

Trade shows / Home shows / Business shows: ... If you do not have the above relationships... then go to one... spend the $5 to get in (I never pay...) and pass your card around. Most of the people there are skilled in sales, and several are owners, VPs, executive management, etc. They are looking for good contacts just as much as you are.

But most of the stuff we do is word of mouth. If a contractor uses us, they usually agree to let us do business with the customer after our job is over (I would rather keep a contractor as a customer than lose one over a job)... do a good job, pass out cards... ask for referrals.

Follow up your visits with phone calls. Ask how the service went. Wear booties on your feet... people LOVE this stuff... and it will generate repeat business!

Hope that helps,
Greg

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
6 x a day here is about $5500 a week, door to door here,will get you a free night in the county lock up.

i should specify that door to door is for commercial service work. just a meet and greet w/ owners or managers; hand them a flyer and a card.

radio is about $500/wk, and TV ads are just under $800/mo.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It would be nice to get those ad prices in a metro area.

that is in a metro area; certainly not as big as the one you live in, but an official MSA none the less. it actually covers two metro areas; valdosta,GA and tallahassee, FL.

i'm sure there are different price packages available that are more expensive.

Occupation
Inspector
I had a post or two in another thread, not sure where it is now. I do mostly residential service work so this has worked well for me.

I've been sending cards to the folks that are listed in the Sunday paper of property transfers. I have had great success with Direct Mailing of post cards I created using VistaPrint. There are some good templates and the final cost for each postcard is ~.32 which includes postage. I have been getting about a 1 to 2 % hit.

I have also created a postcard for former customers as well.

I'm in the process of making a postcard that I can put into paper boxes of properties that I see that are for sale.

I'll try to see if I can find a way to post examples.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
how many add in what time slots for that money?

oh man i don't even remember now what the specifics are.

i remember on the TV ads it was 4 prime time, 4 morning, 2 during the late news and a few more scattered around.

radio ads are around 3 per hour except for shows you sponsor, you get heavy rotation during that show. that's the best i can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.