Marketing Genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a small outfit (3 guys incl. myself) and I was just wondering what some of you more successful contractors think is a good allocation of marketing funds. What and where do you think would be the best avenues of marketing for a small operation like mine. I've had good success with the word of mouth advertising, but I would like to take on a little more, and was just looking for some good suggestions. I'll even entertain the "bad" ones too, lol.:D

custom homes/ small commercial. 2-3 day + service/remodel. GC's, HVAC contractors needing service upgrade, I'll even deal with HO's if it's a good size job, lol.

mdshunk

Sparkyrob11 said:
custom homes/ small commercial. 2-3 day + service/remodel. GC's, HVAC contractors needing service upgrade, I'll even deal with HO's if it's a good size job, lol.
In that case, my suggestion is to make up a nice presentation portfolio and get out there and start meeting these contractors, eye-to-eye. The homeowner one sorta does throw a zinger in though. That's a horse of another color.

The best accounts I have are GC's that were fed up w/ their old EC, we take good care of them, and they love us. I'm just lookin' for more love.

Sparky555 said:
How long have you been in, where are you & how many clients?

I've had my business established 4 years, employees and self employed full time for the last 3. I'm in Utah and serve (in order of proximity) Provo, SLC, and Park City areas. I would say off the top of my head I have 8-10 good regular work accounts.

quogueelectric

mdshunk said:
In that case, my suggestion is to make up a nice presentation portfolio and get out there and start meeting these contractors, eye-to-eye. The homeowner one sorta does throw a zinger in though. That's a horse of another color.
Thats horse of a different color. :grin:

Sparky555

Sparkyrob11 said:
Sparky555 said:
How long have you been in, where are you & how many clients?

I've had my business established 4 years, employees and self employed full time for the last 3. I'm in Utah and serve (in order of proximity) Provo, SLC, and Park City areas. I would say off the top of my head I have 8-10 good regular work accounts.

I could help you on the residential service end, but I don't play with GCs very much. I have 500 clients. I can tell by your quantity of clients that you're not really working for homeowners. My advice would be to keep clear of homeowners. It's a different business with different numbers. If you use the same numbers in residential service (as you are in new construction) you'll lose money.

As for marketing, MD has it. Networking & "meet & greet". Some architects get bids also. This is really not where my experience is.

Dave

Rewire

One big mistake is trying to be all things to all people,you need to think about positioning.Decide what will be your flagship and spend your dollars there.Next think of branding,whats going to put you at top of mind in your market sector.If you have the $ to spend hire a marketing firm to develope strategies.

Rewire said:
One big mistake is trying to be all things to all people,you need to think about positioning.Decide what will be your flagship and spend your dollars there.Next think of branding,whats going to put you at top of mind in your market sector.If you have the $ to spend hire a marketing firm to develope strategies.

Branding is a great marketing ploy, which most do not take enough advantage of.
Have a marketing company or graphics person come up with a great logo and theme, and have at it.

Note:
Make sure the logo is easy to read, distinguishable and can be used for all of your correspondence without too much manipulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.