Masonry boxes for lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

T74

I'm renovating a brick house and adding some exterior sconces. Seems like the only masonry box I can find is a single gang device box.

Is this what people usually use for lights or is there an octagon?

Also is there any reason I can't use a regular metal octagon in a brick wall?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Mason are going to want single gang rectangle, they’re easy for them to set in brickwork sideways.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
A standard masonry is fine as long as the fixture doesn't weigh more than 6 lbs.
A mason will be very unhappy with you if you use an octagon box

Buck Parrish

It should be UL approved for acidity concrete conditions. But I have used a regular metal octagon box in a brick wall. As RC said the single turned side ways works just fine.
It seems most of the Octagon concrete boxes are designed for deck slab work. They are open like a box extension. You screw it to the pan. fill it with sand then put a cover on top like one end.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It should be UL approved for acidity concrete conditions. ....
Per the UL Guide Information for Metallic Outlet Boxes (QCIT) all listed metallic boxes, other than aluminum boxes, are are suitable for use in concrete.
All metal boxes, except aluminum alloy boxes, are provided with corrosion protection suitable for installation in concrete.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Install the octagonal round mud box or whatever suits your needs. The masons should have no problem cutting the brick around any shape box. if they can't they need to find another profession or a corner to cry in.

Status
Not open for further replies.