Master Electrican or PE required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgardner

Hi all,

I have heard in the past that for smaller amperage projects (less than 600A Main) that a Master Electrician can do the design and installation without having drawings designed and signed & sealed by an registered Professional Engineer. However, now that this has come up with one of my clients, I can not find anywhere that this is written.

Have any of you heard of this?? Is so, where can I find out if it applies in my area.

As a side note, this same client is asking for Signed & Sealed As Built drawings for a project that we did not design. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Martha

eric stromberg

mgardner said:
Hi all,

I have heard in the past that for smaller amperage projects (less than 600A Main) that a Master Electrician can do the design and installation without having drawings designed and signed & sealed by an registered Professional Engineer. However, now that this has come up with one of my clients, I can not find anywhere that this is written.

Have any of you heard of this?? Is so, where can I find out if it applies in my area.

As a side note, this same client is asking for Signed & Sealed As Built drawings for a project that we did not design. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Martha

It's going to vary by State. What State are you asking about?

dezwitinc

Florida Regulations

Florida Regulations

Florida Building Code105.3.1.2
No permit may be issued for any building construction, erection, alteration, modification, repair, or addition unless the applicant for such permit provides to the enforcing agency which issues the permit any of the following documents which apply to the construction for which the permit is to be issued and which shall be prepared by or under the direction of an engineer registered under Chapter 471, Florida Statutes:
1. Electrical documents for any new building or addition which requires an aggregate service capacity of 600 amperes (240 volts) or more on a residential electrical system or 800 amperes (240 volts) or more on a commercial or industrial electrical system and which costs more than $50,000.
Also:
5. Any specialized mechanical, electrical, or plumbing document for any new building or addition which includes a medical gas, oxygen, steam, vacuum, toxic air filtration, halon, or fire detection and alarm system which costs more than $5,000.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
mgardner said:
Even if I designed the project, and even if I signed and sealed the design drawings, I do not sign or seal the as-built drawings. A PE can only sign and seal work done by himself (or herself) or done under their supervision. So they could perform an as-built inspection, and create a set of record drawings. But the only work they can seal is their work in creating the record drawings. They could not seal anything related to the original design. So I don't understand this requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.