Master electrician passed away

reneelyn

Occupation
Office Manager
Hello,
I need help! My husband and I have been running a small electrical contracting business for 20 years in Colorado. My husband, the master electrician, passed away earlier this month and now we have 20 days to find a new master! We have 3 full time employees, 1 has his journeyman license, but not enough hours to take his masters and our other guy has plenty of hours for a masters license but hasn't taken his journeyman exam yet. Our last guy happens to be our son and has no interest in being licensed. Is there such a thing as an electrical consultant who has a masters license? I have just started researching, but I haven't found anything leading to my answer. We have plenty of work coming in, but I am afraid we are going to be shut down if I can't figure this out. My guess is going to be hire a master electrician, but I was hoping for other options until one of our guys can get their masters as they intend on taking over our company in the near future.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Wow 20 days is not much time. One of our moderators lives in Colorado. Suggest you message George S and ask for advice. He does not post much but might see a message

nizak

I’m sorry for your loss.

Have you tried contacting the licensing board and explaining your situation.

The fact that you have a State licensed electrician albeit a Journeyman may buy you some extended time in locating a Master to operate under.

3 weeks, especially with a death involved seems like a very short period of time to rectify the problem.

With all the exemptions and relaxed requirements this Country has one would think you’d have some recourse.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Sorry for your loss.
I trust you have been in contact with the state electrical department.
At one time, Colorado allowed a master electrician to work for one shop and have his/her own electrical business.
I personally knew a master who did that.
If that is still true, call any masters your husband knew or any your technicians know.
Best of luck to you!

Ron

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
other guy has plenty of hours for a masters license but hasn't taken his journeyman exam yet. Our last guy happens to be our son and has no interest in being licensed.
Standard operating procedure is to hire an RMO.

If "other guy" can't be promoted to RMO, or compensated for passing exams, then an outside RMO must be willing to assume responsibility for family management, or work with your son.

reneelyn

Occupation
Office Manager
I’m sorry for your loss.

Have you tried contacting the licensing board and explaining your situation.

The fact that you have a State licensed electrician albeit a Journeyman may buy you some extended time in locating a Master to operate under.

3 weeks, especially with a death involved seems like a very short period of time to rectify the problem.

With all the exemptions and relaxed requirements this Country has one would think you’d have some recourse.
Yes, I have. This is how I found out about the 20 days. I will try to buy more time, thank you for mention that.

reneelyn

Occupation
Office Manager
Sorry for your loss.
I trust you have been in contact with the state electrical department.
At one time, Colorado allowed a master electrician to work for one shop and have his/her own electrical business.
I personally knew a master who did that.
If that is still true, call any masters your husband knew or any your technicians know.
Best of luck to you!

Ron
I have a few trusted masters in mind, but I know that's a lot to ask assuming the responsibility. Thank you

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I would not want to give my license for liability reason,
Your going to have to scamble to find a master plan to higher.

Don’t take this as directed to you, but time for your son to step up and not ride parents coat tail anylonger

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I would not want to give my license for liability reason,
Your going to have to scamble to find a master plan to higher.

Don’t take this as directed to you, but time for your son to step up and not ride parents coat tail anylonger
Agree. It would be part of a business continuity plan

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
See if you can find and RMO/RME.

Some states, like Florida, it’s the standard. Some, like California where I am, it’s perfectly legal and acceptable, just not as common.

I don’t know what your state is like.

There is a site where they are constantly advertising RMO/RMEs available. I won’t link to another forum in public, so I’ll pm you.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Sorry for your loss. 20 days is ridiculous. I think MA allows 6 months or something like that

Maybe you can find someone recently retired who would take over for a short time