Master License Leasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can no longer perform the duties of being an electrician (shoulders are no longer functional). I have a Colorado Master Electrician License and would like to get some compensation for it instead of letting it lapse. Does anyone know if I can Lease it out to a company?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I can't speak for CO but here it is illegal unless you are an employee or officer of the company.

Roger

There have been earlier discussions here about leasing your license, a quick search should turn them up. (IIRC most do talk about being an employee/officer of the company, and also about liability. )

Even if you can't pull wires, you can probably still troubleshoot, and certainly should be able to do design work and load calcs. Have you thought about going in that direction?

tkb

I have done it a couple of times for contractors (legitimately) and was screwed over each time.

69gp

I have done it a couple of times for contractors (legitimately) and was screwed over each time.

Don't feel sorry at all for you at all.

It is illegal in MA to lease your license. If you say you did it legitimately then you had to be an officer in the company. If you were an officer than you have a say on how things get done. By you holding the license you are responsible for all work that is done under that license. That is a lot of responsibility.

I know out of state contractors that bid in the state get the job then hire a master license to cover there work while onsite. Pay the license holder a few hundred dollars a month for the license rental, guarantee 6 to 12 months work then cut all ties.

Hope you realize that your license is on that job for life. If wiring was not done to code and was done neglectfully you can be held personally responsible. Everyone thinks that when you are incorporated that you are protected from being sued. If the work was neglectfully done you can be personally sued. Under certain circumstances even if you have the homestead act on your house you could loose it. If you are married and have property under your wife's or kids name it can be attached. Lawyers love this stuff. They name everyone when they file a suit.

tkb

Don't feel sorry at all for you at all.

It is illegal in MA to lease your license. If you say you did it legitimately then you had to be an officer in the company. If you were an officer than you have a say on how things get done. By you holding the license you are responsible for all work that is done under that license. That is a lot of responsibility.

I know out of state contractors that bid in the state get the job then hire a master license to cover there work while onsite. Pay the license holder a few hundred dollars a month for the license rental, guarantee 6 to 12 months work then cut all ties.

Hope you realize that your license is on that job for life. If wiring was not done to code and was done neglectfully you can be held personally responsible. Everyone thinks that when you are incorporated that you are protected from being sued. If the work was neglectfully done you can be personally sued. Under certain circumstances even if you have the homestead act on your house you could loose it. If you are married and have property under your wife's or kids name it can be attached. Lawyers love this stuff. They name everyone when they file a suit.

I know what MGL states, and when I say my license was used legitimately I was an officer of the company. Every job was properly insured. I worked for these companies full time and didn't rent my licenses.
I was financially screwed over. Promises were not kept.

I don't need legal advice.

Believe me when I say it won't happen again.

There have been earlier discussions here about leasing your license, a quick search should turn them up. (IIRC most do talk about being an employee/officer of the company, and also about liability. )

Even if you can't pull wires, you can probably still troubleshoot, and certainly should be able to do design work and load calcs. Have you thought about going in that direction?

I'm really not that smart at doing the Calc's or design. I've kinda been a grunt for 23 years and never learned much other than just doing the work (hence the bad shoulders). Quite honestly I have no idea how I passed the Journeyman Test much less the Masters. Just looking to make some side dollars off having the license.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm really not that smart at doing the Calc's or design. I've kinda been a grunt for 23 years and never learned much other than just doing the work (hence the bad shoulders). Quite honestly I have no idea how I passed the Journeyman Test much less the Masters. Just looking to make some side dollars off having the license.

Nothing wrong with that just follow the law. Around here license rental is rampant so there are many who simply don't care about getting caught or sued.

bailey071291

New User
Occupation
Contractor
I can no longer perform the duties of being an electrician (shoulders are no longer functional). I have a Colorado Master Electrician License and would like to get some compensation for it instead of letting it lapse. Does anyone know if I can Lease it out to a company?

Is this option still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.