MASTER OVERRIDE SWITCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To repeat myself, use a 3-way and a single-pole switch like this:

Time clock fed always hot to maintain time setting. Connect load (contactor) to common terminal of 3-way. One traveler terminal to clock output, other traveler terminal to one terminal of SP switch. Other terminal of SP switch to always-hot terminal feeding clock. 3-way switch marked Auto/Manual, SP switch marked Manual On/Off.

Another option is a center-off single-pole switch, connected as 3-way above without SP switch: common to load, second terminal to clock output, third terminal to always hot.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Time clock fed always hot to maintain time setting. Connect load (contactor) to common terminal of 3-way. One traveler terminal to clock output, other traveler terminal to one terminal of SP switch. Other terminal of SP switch to always-hot terminal feeding clock. 3-way switch marked Auto/Manual, SP switch marked Manual On/Off.

Another option is a center-off single-pole switch, connected as 3-way above without SP switch: common to load, second terminal to clock output, third terminal to always hot.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jumper

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gotta one up the darn cat.:D

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
Jamesco said:
Just parallel the contacts from this across the contacts of the time clock.

Add. The manual timer eliminates the chance of human error.

That gives you override ON, but the OP also wants override OFF for off schedule days/times the building is not in use.
Add a second such timer with NC instead of NO and put it in series with the time clock contacts?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The spst switch would be installed in the circuit before the contactor/s coil. The switch is the gate keeper. Nothing gets past it, when it's in the open position.

gar

Occupation
EE
180222-1337 EST

Jamesco:

Your suggestion of a manually set timer of limited total duration "ORed" (in parallel) with the time of day timer output contact is a very good idea. Combine this with GoldDigger's suggestion of a 7 day timer and probably most of what Casualsparky wants is achieved even though he has not yet adequately defined what he wants.

Thank you everybody. I am sorry that I didnt clearly define what I was trying to achieve, but am amazed at how many good suggestions have been given. I believe I have all the information I need. Thanks for all of the help!!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The forum rules state that you must tell us what you chose to do, or else you can't use any of our suggestions, :p

Haha, I have not installed yet, but think I am going to go with the countdown timers as override switches. I like the idea that they will default back to the timeclock if somebody forgets to turn them off. And i think the client will agree. The focus on this project is energy efficiency. Thanks again everybody for the input. Several good/ interesting ideas that hadnt crossed my mind. Love this forum.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Two zones. IC = Ice Cube, and the one shots are triggers for latching contactors (+ = close and - = open). In my case, the manual buttons were wired with class 2 wiring from the old system, so I used small ice cubes to use the 24V manual signals to make 120V pulses to the one shots. I wanted a master zone to kill the whole building, and then a slave zone to allow the shop area to turn their lights on after hours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f91wm0y4pily450/IMG_5580.JPG?dl=0

Last edited:

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
What about manual off?

Has it.

The single pole switch, (gate keeper), that is wired in series on the load side of the paralleled time clock contact/manual timer switch contact and the contactor/s coil/s.

Control circuit hot L1 >>> paralleled time clock and manual timmer contacts >>> SPST manual power off switch >>> Contactor/s coil/s >>> other side of coil/s to L2.

Jim

Lets re-open this can of worms!! SO.. had a walk through with the client. All was well (thanks to a little help from this site) HOWEVER, they have added some things and made some changes. So lets see how you guys would tackle this! What they would like to see now is:

Exterior lights on a timeclock. Done. No change needed.

Interior lights: all interior lights on a timeclock set to desired hours.

A master switch (they would like to use a 7 day programmable in wall timer with a manual override option) to override all interior lights. ( i see no need for a separate timeclock as these do both functions?)

Bonus: the janitors closet to be on a countdown timer as well that overrides all interior lighting while they clean. But will automatically turn off after, for example, 4 hrs.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That last one is cute. Not out for everybody to play with and when the cleaning crew turns on the closet lights it automatically turns on the general interior.
Only one time switch in one janitor's closet? Will the rest (if any) have individual room switches?

Would the seven day time clock allow both on and off override? Should it?
How will occupancy sensors (if any) fit into this scheme?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Lets re-open this can of worms!! SO.. had a walk through with the client. All was well (thanks to a little help from this site) HOWEVER, they have added some things and made some changes. So lets see how you guys would tackle this! What they would like to see now is:

Exterior lights on a timeclock. Done. No change needed.

Interior lights: all interior lights on a timeclock set to desired hours.

A master switch (they would like to use a 7 day programmable in wall timer with a manual override option) to override all interior lights. ( i see no need for a separate timeclock as these do both functions?)

Bonus: the janitors closet to be on a countdown timer as well that overrides all interior lighting while they clean. But will automatically turn off after, for example, 4 hrs.
Now that you have re opened your can of worms.....

This is all very doable, the degree of difficulty is depends on how this place is wired and how things are switched already.

Status
Not open for further replies.