Master/Slave

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So we get rid of master/slave. What impact does that have? Who's life gets better?
The person in the op-ed I mentioned? (Rather, future people in similar situations) Many of the respondents of the survey I referenced?

You are better than this argument.
I don't understand what you mean. I'm referencing an anecdote I read, believed and found sincere. Are you saying I shouldn't give that anecdote much weight?

My entire point of view in this thread is that people are different and have different life experiences. If someone plausibly tells me that some term makes them uncomfortable, then I'm going to take that at face value and respect that. I'm not going to second guess the validity of their concern.

Cheers, Wayne

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The person in the op-ed I mentioned? (Rather, future people in similar situations) Many of the respondents of the survey I referenced?
How?
I don't understand what you mean. I'm referencing an anecdote I read, believed and found sincere. Are you saying I shouldn't give that anecdote much weight?

My entire point of view in this thread is that people are different and have different life experiences.
I agree.
If someone plausibly tells me that some term makes them uncomfortable, then I'm going to take that at face value and respect that.
I will too.
I'm not going to second guess the validity of their concern.

Cheers, Wayne
I won't either, but I will decide how much weight I will give it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
My entire point of view in this thread is that people are different and have different life experiences. If someone plausibly tells me that some term makes them uncomfortable, then I'm going to take that at face value and respect that. I'm not going to second guess the validity of their concern.

I don't mean for anybody to take this the wrong way or as being derogatory to you, but you are from California. No matter how we skirt around politics to make this thread acceptable to this forum, it is what it is.

I suggest that this thread be closed before it gets even more ridiculous.

-Hal

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
You need to be careful with thinking the rest of the world uses multiple meanings for words the same way we do in America. Our master/slave translates into Spanish as maestro/esclavo which translates back as teacher/slave. I have seen someone get angry because the Portuguese translater did not understand his use of the word whole meaning entire. It took a while for md to find a Spanish word that would have the same meaning as steps in a recipe, finally we agreed using the word paseo instead.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
what ever happen to" sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me"

If I let what people say effect me that my own insecurities that I need to address.

Sad thing these people are running the county and future leaders have to stand up to cut throat evil rulers around the world" Xi better watch what pronounce he uses or we will go cry in a corner and pound sand

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Xi better watch what pronounce he uses or we will go cry in a corner and pound sand

They get their panties in a wad if someone calls the corona virus the China virus. It would hurt the Chinese's feelings while they are planning to take us over.

That balloon that they flew over here directly over our military installations. The Chinese government had no knowledge of it you know. It was all a mistake.

Don't call Xi a dictator either. It will hurt his feelings.

This is where kindness and consideration get you. Better start learning Chinese.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.