Master's / Cotractor's License

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlit

I want the opinion of those out there that hold multiple state licenseing for their company. I wanted to know what you think the value of a Master's license would be for the company you work for.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In Washington a contractor must have an assigned master or administrator. the value is if you loose your administer/master you are out of business.
I think that rlit may be asking the monetary value that a license not held by owner or partner represents to the company. Or in different words, how much more pay could a license holder expect to see if their license is critical to the company.
Maybe none, maybe a lot depending on the state and the market.

Transportation Guy

I think it totally depends on the state and how the general statutes (law) is spelled out. I am a license holder in many states. However, at our company, we have multiple (10+) guys that went through apprentice programs and now hold their masters. They are not tremendously valuable. Roughly $25.00 - $30.00 an hour, which is a great living but you can easliy be replaced. In a state just south of us, the license is significantly more valuable because licenses are based on a project value limitation. (ie limited - $40k project value or less, intermediate - $110k or less, unlimited - no limit) These are 3 different tests and most are intimidated by the unlimited and only go for the limited license. A person with an unlimited license is more than likely making closer to six figures. He is also most likely running the company or branch and not turning screwdrivers.

also keep in mind that if you qualify your company in multiple states, it is your license (or you are the qualified individual) and you are required to be "supervising" the work as well as readily accessible. I file complaints all the time on companies cheating the system. (renting licenses)

Richardh247

also keep in mind that if you qualify your company in multiple states, it is your license (or you are the qualified individual) and you are required to be "supervising" the work as well as readily accessible. I file complaints all the time on companies cheating the system. (renting licenses)

I'm not certain that I am following you here - or, if I do understand correctly, that I can entirely
agree.

The RME (Responsible Master Electrician) is not required to be the business owner of an electrical contracting company, nor does the owner have to be an electrician at all; granted that I would personally never hire an EC whose owner wasn't a sparky himself, but that's only my opinion. It is perfectly legal to employ a ME who serves as the RME, and one man cannot directly supervise numerous crews.

Perhaps you were stating that, as I have seen happen, a company in Texas doing work in Oklahoma is not permitted to have an OK EC pull a permit for the job and then turn it over to the TX contractor? I agree wholeheartedly there. It happens all the time here - JW calls his ME buddy who pulls a permit for a side job and throws him a few bucks for doing so. It's wrong, but it happens, and the inspectors know it. If the work itself is solid, I think--again, just my opinion--a little slack can be made for the guy trying to pay his bills.

Licensing in TX is ridiculous - they are reciprocal with only two states and, if you're having issues getting your hours signed off on because (e.g.) a past employer went out of business, then you are required to start all over again with an apprentice card. I know a ton, and I mean a TON, of guys in AZ that never went to school, have many years in the field and have never held any license - it just isn't (or wasn't, at least) stressed. As happened to me when I first moved here, their hours don't mean diddly to TX.

I am not trying to understate the value of book-learning in this trade by any means! But asking a guy with 15 years in the trade to start all over again at a $10/hr job is slightly ludicrous. If such a person were to open a business and simply have an ME on payroll serving as the RME... AND they did solid work, I would have zero issue with such a scenario.

Just my humble .02.

mark henderson

Licensing in TX is ridiculous - they are reciprocal with only two states and, if you're having issues getting your hours signed off on because (e.g.) a past employer went out of business, then you are required to start all over again with an apprentice card. I know a ton, and I mean a TON, of guys in AZ that never went to school, have many years in the field and have never held any license - it just isn't (or wasn't, at least) stressed. As happened to me when I first moved here, their hours don't mean diddly to TX.

I came from AZ, I know the pain of trying to get hours from company's that don't employ masters and having the TDLR accept them. I had to get an Apprentice card while I battled them, then they gave me a restricted journeyman, I then had to test for my Unrestricted journeyman. It took some time to get everything in place. I only just now passed the master exam here.

Status
Not open for further replies.