Masters License

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work on a US Military Base outside of the US.Our contract says that we need to have a master electrician on base.I've been an electrician for 30 years I have an expired E-2 unlimited journeymans from Conn.I keep up on the code and I attend seminars. Is their any place that I can take the test for a Master Electrician

jeff43222

Re: Masters License

Does your contract state how they define "master electrician"? Usually that means someone with a government-issued license, credential, certificate, etc. rather than someone who is certified by a private organization like IAEI. So in all likelihood, you would need to get a license from some state or local government entity.

Unfortunately, the procedures for doing this vary greatly from place to place (some states have statewide licensing, some don't, and some localities have their own licensing rules). Your experience would probably qualify you to take the necessary exam. I suggest you find out what qualifies as a master electrician in terms of your contract, then pick a US jurisdiction where their license will qualify you under the contract.

haskindm

Re: Masters License

The problem you may run into is meeting the "experience" requirement. In Maryland the requirementis that a candidate for a Master Electrician license are:
"shall have been regularly and principally employed or engaged in electrical construction, maintenance, installation, and repair of all types of electrical equipment and apparatus for not less than seven (7) years preceeding the date of application, under the direct supervision of a master electrician ..."
Many people that work all their lives as "electricians" are not under the supervision of a master, so have difficulty meeting this requirement. This is part of the reason that military installations now require someone with a master electrician license; so they can varify the experience of the people working under them.

Status
Not open for further replies.