Masters Simulated Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

daiashi

Is it me or are some of the questions incomplete.Like as a example they
ask a motor load in amps but dont tell you whether it is squirrel cage
or dc or ac .Just the hp and voltage.any ideas.I know the test do
not come from mike holt directly.At least thats what I have heard.
Not a big deal but has anyone else came across this while taking the practice exam?
:smile:

480sparky

In most cases, they want you to fail, so you'll need to pony up the dough and retake the test. Once you pass, you are not a potential customer any more.

Some questions will try to get you to second-guess yourself. For instance, a simple question might be "What is the ampacity of #12 THHN?" A; 30 amps. 240.4(D) and 110.14 and T310.15(B)(2) do not apply. You can't use the aluminum column because of 110.5, though.

As for HP & voltage of motors, they simply want to see if you know how to find Tables 430.248 and 430.250.

What I hated about the tests is their use of local terms for things, such as 'horsepower-rated switch' and 'night switch-finder location'.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
The one I love is where you have a Motor HP that doesn't match up to the chart, and you have to extrapolate the HP by averaging and getting the right amperage for the problem...If you get the amperage wrong, then you miss that question and the ones below it, because of the initial error! That to me is revenue shopping.

steveng

Rockyd said:
The one I love is where you have a Motor HP that doesn't match up to the chart, by averaging and getting the right amperage for the problem...If you get the amperage wrong, then you miss that question and the ones below it, because of the initial error! That to me is revenue shopping.

and you have to extrapolate the HP ???

what is extrapolates?:grin:

eric stromberg

I think my biggest pet peeve when it comes to exam questions are those like the following:

There are four conductors in a conduit. What is the ampacity...

Now, to me, four conductors means 3 phase 4 wire. But, in this case, there are only 3 current carrying conductors in the conduit because the neutral doesn't count. So, in essence, there is not enough information to work the problem. Sheeesh.. :-? :mad: :roll:

480sparky

steveng said:
and you have to extrapolate the HP ???

what is extrapolates?:grin:

1. To infer or estimate by extending or projecting known information.
2. Mathematics: To estimate (a value of a variable outside a known range) from values within a known range by assuming that the estimated value follows logically from the known values.

NEC gives you values needed for various HP of motors, but not for all that may exist.

For instance, 3 and 5HP motors are listed, but not 4HP. A test question may use a 4HP motor, so you need to extrapolate.

eric stromberg said:
I think my biggest pet peeve when it comes to exam questions are those like the following:

There are four conductors in a conduit. What is the ampacity...

Now, to me, four conductors means 3 phase 4 wire. But, in this case, there are only 3 current carrying conductors in the conduit because the neutral doesn't count. So, in essence, there is not enough information to work the problem. Sheeesh.. :-? :mad: :roll:

So if they say three wires, you assume two hots and a neutral (single phase) instead of three hots going to a 3-phase motor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.